+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help!

Help!

I just got a kitten for my little girl. Is there any way I can get him to stop peeing on the carpet. He knows where his litterbox is and uses it, but continues to pee on the carpet. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Are there other cats in the house, dagwood?
    Who shot who in the what now?

sue
    FORT Regular

kitty

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood
    I just got a kitten for my little girl. Is there any way I can get him to stop peeing on the carpet. He knows where his litterbox is and uses it, but continues to pee on the carpet. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I also have 2 kittys that have the same problem, so if you find out please pm me and let me know what can be done, they are driving me crazy.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greenie
    Are there other cats in the house, dagwood?
    Nope. He is an only cat. Only 14 weeks old, too so I think that it should be easy to break him of this habit. As long as I can figure out how to do it, that is.

Has he been declawed? I read somewhere that some declawed cats don't like litter boxes.

My only suggestion is every time you see him start to pee pick him up and put him in his litterbox. It seems like that should work, but I'm not sure. 14 weeks is definitely old enough to be away from mom, so age shouldn't be a factor.

I have a feeling that there will be a Forter who will have some great advice, but you may want to ask the vet.

Good luck.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Cats are extremely particular about cat litter, so you might try and find out what litter he is used to and switch to it. If you have a kind you want to use, start by mixing the two litters for a while. Also, scoop the box as often as possible. Litter boxes are sacred domain to cats - we see it as a box full of poop but cats are very particular.

On that same note, I have a cat who was very good about using the box until we moved. Then he stopped. I thought he was just mad at me for moving, but at one point, he sat in the box for 20 mins and nothing happened. He also at one point jumped up on me and peed. YIKES! I took him to the vet and it turns out he had a bladder infection and crystals in his urine due to the change in water. After 3 days on a catheter, prescription food & antibiotics, he's on urinary tract food and has been fine.

Long story short on that one is, to a cat, his urine is "clean" unless he's sick, and he won't put "unclean" urine in his catbox...as I said before, catboxes are sacred to cats.

Try changing the litter first--and also get another catbox. I have 2 cats and 3 boxes. Feel under his belly to see if his bladder ever starts feeling enlarged - my cat's was as big as a softball when I figured out what was going on, and he wouldn't have lasted more than another day without treatment. Bladder issues are more common in younger male cats and can be brought on by stress as well as changes in food or water.

Oh, and if he's not neutered? Get him neutered ASAP. Cats are worse than dogs about marking.

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    I had my cat neutered and he is more viscious then ever! He is an attack cat for christ's sake! Doesnt let anyone into my house, and I mean no one...

Cats prefer unscented litter, and if they're not declawed, you should use a GOOD clumping kind.

We just recently got our first cat, and I did a lot of reading on the subject. Of course, our cat hasn't once peed where she wasn't supposed to, so I guess it was all in vain.

Finicky eater, though, heck yeah.

He isn't declawed or neutered yet. I will have him neutered as soon as he is old enough...don't need him spraying all over my house. I will try the clumping litter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast