+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help!

If nothing else works, contact www.pant.org and ask for some info. I hope the problem will get fixed. I guess patience, next to seltzer water is a blessing.

I might need to foster a couple of kittens for the first time. If you find out, please post the info for all. Good luck.

(Have there been any changed that might stress the kitty?)

Dagwood, if you have any more info surrounding when it happens, I can ask for you. (Plus, it's a little kitty and might need a little more practise).

I can't think of any changes that might stress him. We have had him for 3 weeks.

I have squirt guns, but never catch him actually doing it. The best I have been able to do is rub his little nose in the puddle and say "no". I feel so bad doing that, though.

My daughter said she has seen him pee in the box, so maybe it will fix itself? I will try the clumping litter, though. I know there are products out there that you are supposed to spray on the spot and it is supposed to deter him....I will have to check into them. Trust me, when I figure out how to stop it, I will post it.

You may be in luck as I just got a kitten three weeks ago and read the following book:

Kitten Care & Training--An owner's guide to a happy healthy pet (Amy Shojai)

My kitty is now 7 weeks old, and she hasn't done anything bad toileting-wise so far! Now attacking feet and biting are a different story...

All of the above posts address the litter issues and other concerns; however, to try to prevent her from going again in the same area, you must spray the area she soiled with a odor-neutralizing product. If the area isn't treated, he will keep returning to that spot. We bought "Nature's Miracle" just for cats. Since cats have such a sensitive nose, if their food is placed too close to their litter box, they won't use the box and go elsewhere (your carpet). Keep your litterbox cleaned out daily and change the litter weekly. Cats hate the smell of orange citrus, and the book recommends spraying the area with that to make the area less attractive. Now for the really "fun" part: Where kitty has soiled the carpet, put his feeding dish on the scene of the crime and feed him there, and he'll stop eliminating there! Leave the empty bowl there as a reminder. After a week, take the bowl away for a day, then replace it. Do this every-other-day routine for a week, then gradually move the bowl back to the right place. If he's messing in several spots, place carpet runners (clear plastic ones) nub side up over the areas. It none of these work, behavior modification is in order...blasts from a water gun, spray bottle, etc. Kitty must be caught in the act to make this work.

I can see your house now--carpet runners everywhere and food bowls scattered about like landmines. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    You may be in luck as I just got a kitten three weeks ago and read the following book:

Kitten Care & Training--An owner's guide to a happy healthy pet (Amy Shojai)

My kitty is now 7 weeks old, and she hasn't done anything bad toileting-wise so far! Now attacking feet and biting are a different story...

Isn't that the truth. I figure that he will grow out of it, until then the squirt gun comes in quite handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    All of the above posts address the litter issues and other concerns; however, to try to prevent her from going again in the same area, you must spray the area she soiled with a odor-neutralizing product. If the area isn't treated, he will keep returning to that spot. We bought "Nature's Miracle" just for cats. Since cats have such a sensitive nose, if their food is placed too close to their litter box, they won't use the box and go elsewhere (your carpet). Keep your litterbox cleaned out daily and change the litter weekly. Cats hate the smell of orange citrus, and the book recommends spraying the area with that to make the area less attractive. Now for the really "fun" part: Where kitty has soiled the carpet, put his feeding dish on the scene of the crime and feed him there, and he'll stop eliminating there! Leave the empty bowl there as a reminder. After a week, take the bowl away for a day, then replace it. Do this every-other-day routine for a week, then gradually move the bowl back to the right place. If he's messing in several spots, place carpet runners (clear plastic ones) nub side up over the areas. It none of these work, behavior modification is in order...blasts from a water gun, spray bottle, etc. Kitty must be caught in the act to make this work.

I can see your house now--carpet runners everywhere and food bowls scattered about like landmines. Good luck!
    I don't think it is placement, the box and food area are quite a distance from each other. I will try cleaning it out every day. My daughter usually changes it every third or fourth day. I will try the deodorizer and citrus spray. Thanks for the suggestions.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Were there any cats in your house/apartment before your current kitty? If so, and they "went" on the carpet, your cat could be possibly be being territorial and "claiming" that particular spot. Just an idea.

And make sure the litter box is clean. My boys get pissed off if I don't clean their box AT LEAST once a day.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

We also were told by our vet to really clean the spots our cat was peeing (she was doing it under the crib in the baby's room...do you think there was a message there?) and use a smell nuetralizer and then cover the area with tinfoil or put balloons down there (both annoy cats)

We finally had to get our cat put on medication to calm her down (a little dose of kitty valium) because she was so jealous.

But good luck, make sure that litter box stays clean.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Just to reiterate what everyone else has said - a sparklin' clean litter box can make all the difference in the world. I have one cat who is VERY picky about this, and doesn't hesitate to let me know when the box isn't up to his standards. If I'm home he'll actually come up to me and meow in this certain "voice" (that sounds crazy, but I swear that it's true), and if I'm not home, well, I have some cleaning to do when I arrive. He's no joke.

Also, be EXTRA careful if you have hardwood floors. I just found one of my little guy's "alternate toilets", and the floor underneath it is now shot.

In fact, if I can add this question to the thread: do any of you know if floor-fixer-people (I think that's the official title) will replace small sections of hardwood? I know that animal urine is one thing they can't get out, but I'd hate to have to replace an entire floor for a ruined few square inches.

Again our parallel lives, Amanda. I have the same problem. One of my cat's has decided that she prefers hardwood floors to kitty litter. If anyone has any suggestions please tell.
    Who shot who in the what now?

This is the first cat in this house. I bought the house brand new.

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys. I will continue to keep the litter clean and hope it stops.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast