+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera terms

Camera terms

I've been looking for a camera for a while. The places I've been to locally don't have much of a selection. I got a magazine from B&H in NYC. There is some terminology that I do not understand what they are and what it does. Could some one clarify any of this? What additional lens would you suggest? What are good features for a manual/automatic 35 mm SLR camera to have? Thanks! www.bhphotovideo.com[/url]

Infinity focus

Multipattern metering

Multi beam AF

Exposure compensation

Slow sync

Panorama mode (I thought you needed lens for this)

Fuzzy logic

Diopter correction

Macro mode
    Last edited by eldee; 07-26-2003 at 08:24 PM.

get a canon EOS 66 or higher. if you can get the best, pentax, then do so.

ill try my best to answer those i know even if im not an expert.

Multi beam AF - (AF for Autofocus) It picks a point in the center of the frame and that's what you get. means it sends out a beam to measure the distance to the subject and sets focus based on the distance it measures

Exposure compensation. - to achieve the correct exposure you desire. check out this site http://www.jafaphotography.com/achiv...t_exposure.htm

Panorama mode (I thought you needed lens for this) - some cameras already have panoramic mode.

Diopter correction - this probably has something to do with adjusting the magnification of the lense.

also check out photo.net to get more tips.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire. .

You sound like somewhat of a novice, so I would recommend something like the Canon Rebel. You can shoot in auto mode and it will not only do all the work for you, but you'll get fantastic photos. You can move into the manual modes if and when you ever want to evolve into it, but it's not ever a necessity.

I have quite a few cameras, both digital and 35 mm., and even though I love my Nikon 35 mm., I don't think you can beat the speed and ease of use of the Canon Rebel. If you get a secondary telefoto lens, I'd recommend a 70-300 lens with a macro feature. You can save a lot of money by buying something like a Tamron instead of the Canon brand, and I'm sure you'd be quite pleased with the results.

You might want to go to a camera store in your area and just sit down and talk with someone about what your needs are. You can glean a lot of helpful information, but you can also handle the cameras and see how they "fit" you. There are some cameras that just don't feel right to me, and some are comfortable and feel just perfect immediately. Get the camera stores prices, then call B&H (or Camera World of Oregon - also a good source for discounts and good service), and get their best price. You can sometimes save hundreds of dollars doing it this way. However, if you buy the camera from a local camera store, you can usually get a couple of free classes thrown in, which is really helpful for beginning photographers and worth the extra money you may end up paying. Then all of those terms you're asking about would make a little more sense to you.

I love my Canon Elph. Great camera, for around $200 or so, takes wonderful pics.

yup! im an amateur. LOL! and i cant seem to get it right.

look at my photos. www.pbase.com/the_authority
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire. .

Eldee, here is a site you can check for a glossary of camera terms:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consu...y/termsA.shtml

HTH!

You're right. I am a novice, but not in the Nun sense. However, I would like a camera to have functions that I can later use as I gain knowledge and experience. Thanks for the current suggestions and info. Keep them coming.

There's a lot of good information in this thread! Mimi, you sound like a professional photographer.

eldee, most of the features you've mentioned are pretty standard on new SLRs from Minolta, Nikon, Canon, etc.

Panorama and macro modes are not as common on the lower-priced models, but they're fun to have. Panorama mode allows you to switch between a standard view and a panoramic one. Macro mode allows you to shoot extreme close-ups.

I've found that having a spot meter is a huge help on SLR cameras. It helps you avoid the "averaging" that SLR metering systems do.

Additional lenses? I'd get a 28-300 or 28-200 zoom lens. And make sure you get a circular polarizing filter. It makes those blue skies really blue. It also lets you shoot through glass without those pesky reflections - so useful at the zoo!

Good luck with your purchase, eldee.

Thanks again. This is all information I can understand and use.

What is your opinion on this camera and price?
    A coworker is selling his camera.

It is a Nikkon (50?) and it will come with:
    24 mm wide angle lense by Quantanam
    70 or 80-210 zoom/tlephoto lense by Nikon
    35-80 all purpose lense
    Quuantaray multipoint flash unit with diffuser and hotshoe
    Nikon codura nylon case
    Nikon camera sling
    2 or 3 rolls 200 speed film
    lense cleaning kit
    Total $375.00

+ Reply to Thread