+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: If you won the lottery.....

CCL

Re: If you won the lottery.....

Quote Originally Posted by FORTFanGirl;2339839;
    I'd call my attorney first & have him figure out how to claim the money without my name getting out.
    That's what I've always liked about the British lottery system - they don't announce the winner's identity unless the winner gives them permission. I'd much rather that than have my picture splashed on all the papers so that people I hadn't seen in years would know that I'd just hit the jackpot.

As for what I would do, it would depend on how much money I won. If I won enough I would definitely quit my job. I'd travel more for sure. I'd be joining PWS in the first class section on a flight to New Zealand (I keep seeing ads for Air New Zealand where they show the seats that turn into beds. Bliss!).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FORTFanGirl;2339839;
    I'd call my attorney first & have him figure out how to claim the money without my name getting out. I don't want the loser parts of my family popping up (or my ex for that matter)! THEN I call the tax accountant & Financial Planner so I can figure out how soon I can quit.
    That's what unlisted phone #'s are for! When you move, you don't give out your new address or phone # except to the people you like. When the husband and I got married, we got a brand new phone # (unlisted) and that cut back on a lot of things (including solicitors!).

As for flying first class...I would recommend it to anyone regardless of whether you win the Lotto or not--especially for those long overseas flights. I am cheap (as many of you already know), but I have learned to loosen the purse strings for certain things. And if you're already spending a ton of money to go to Australia or Hong Kong or what not, splurge a little more and go in style!

FYI: Flying first class on Air Jamaica isn't worth the price. You get more legroom but that's about it. Now, flying Business Class on Air New Zealand and Air Tahiti Nui--that's pure bliss. I've found that sometimes you get a cheaper upgrade if you make the upgrade when you check in. If they don't have a full section (in Business class etc.), you will be able to upgrade for cheaper than if you purchased that ticket weeks/months ago. I've also used my airline miles to upgrade from coach to Business and LOVE IT.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2342043;
    That's what unlisted phone #'s are for! When you move, you don't give out your new address or phone # except to the people you like. When the husband and I got married, we got a brand new phone # (unlisted) and that cut back on a lot of things (including solicitors!).

I've had an unlisted number for almost 10 years due to a couple family members. I'm ready to change it again and limit yet again the people that have it.

If I won the lottery, I'd definetly go ahead and change my number and keep it unlisted. I think most people would have to go through my lawyer to get to me. I really like that idea. I'll have "people". Then who ever wants to talk to me can talk to my "people" first.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I forgot to add somethin I always dreamed of doing... I will buy a brown french bulldog male and name it Lockjaw. Comic book geeks will get the reference lol.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

MRD

Let me add that I am going to send my child AND her friends to college someplace far, far away. She'll have her friends with her and her trust check each month and when she turns back into a human, she can come back.

But seriously I would pay for a couple of her friends to go to school if I could. One in particular who is very bright, but who's mother is a complete IDIOT!!!!
    And doesn't want her to go to college and refuses to pay for it or help her daughter in any way towards it.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

I like the idea of donating to a summer youth camp/center and vonlunteering in it. Then again, i don't want a million, just 100K. So, if one of you guys could let me borrow(permanently ) 500K for the camp, i would be forever grateful. I'd even name the lunch room after you.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2342999;
    Let me add that I am going to send my child AND her friends to college someplace far, far away. She'll have her friends with her and her trust check each month and when she turns back into a human, she can come back.

But seriously I would pay for a couple of her friends to go to school if I could. One in particular who is very bright, but who's mother is a complete IDIOT!!!!
    And doesn't want her to go to college and refuses to pay for it or help her daughter in any way towards it.
    That's just too sweet myrosiedog. It's not very often mothers take notice to their childrens' friends and the plights they are facing. I like how you think.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno;2343175;

That's just too sweet myrosiedog. It's not very often mothers take notice to their childrens' friends and the plights they are facing. I like how you think.
    Hopefully you can sneak her advice about colleges and how to be declared an emancipated minor so she's eligible for scholarships even though her mom may have $$ she's not willing to put out. Share your daughter's books on colleges, etc.

MRD

One of the few regrets about us moving was leaving this kid and one other behind. Both girls have known my daughter since 2nd grade. All 3 are good friends and hung out at our house all the time. They even both call me mom.
    Both have very weird parents. However one is encouraging theirs to go to college. The idiot mom (and I could go on for DAYS about what an idiot she is), has money, but she refuses to pay anything. She won't have the girls teeth fixed (the kid needs braces in the worst way), told her she isn't paying for college, treats her like crap, leaves her alone for days in the house by herself. The kid is 16. And the mom has one daughter that dropped out of highschool, was pregnant at 17 and on and on. Seems like she's pushing this one into the same direction which is so STUPID!!! She has her own agenda and her 4, yes FOUR kids just get in the way.
    I wish I could adopt both girls. They are such sweethearts and I miss them as much as my daughter does. Their parents have NO idea what great kids they have, such a shame.
    I'd pay for college in a heartbeat for both of them if I could. And I do encourage both girls. They email me from time to time and I talk to them on the phone. They tell me stuff they can't or won't tell their parents. Nothing bad, just stuff. I'm glad they feel they can confide in me.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

mrd, I know that you can't afford to send your daughter's friends to college (heck, it's expensive enough paying for just one child to go these days!), but perhaps you could encourage those two girls to get loans and/or apply for scholarships and go to college--4 year, junior or community college--anything so that they've got a better chance for their future to get out of the rut their parents seem content to live with. I was very lucky to have parents who paid for most of my college expenses, but I had some friends who weren't as fortunate--but they paid their own way and it was hard for them, but it was definitely possible.

You're a good egg. Keep encouraging those girls!

FYI, I too would like to hire a chef and a personal trainer if I won the lotto. I'm not a great cook and don't particularly enjoy it--but I LOVE eating...so you see where both would come in handy!

+ Reply to Thread