+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: If you won the lottery.....

Re: If you won the lottery.....

1. Make sure my taxes were always paid-I don't want any problems with Uncle Sam!

2. My family and closest friends would be well taken care of.

3. Donate money to Autism Research. Play Santa Claus to a few of the schools and organizations who serve the developmentally disabled.

4. A nice modest home somewhere tranquil with all the fixin's

5.Travel more.

6. Make some smart investments-can't spend without making it grow a little as well.

7.Buy myself a new car with all of the trimmings. This would probably be my biggest "splurge" moment, as I hate the idea of buying something that will depreciate in value the moment I drive it off the lot. My purchase of this item will probably only mean one thing...that I will drive this car until the wheels fell off.

8.My mom could finally quit working! Hey, so could I

9. Start my own business (hey at least I would be working for me)

10. Take more time to stop and smell the roses in life-hopefully the money would afford me the time to sit back and enjoy a few more sunsets in life without the worry of making sure the bills get paid.

This has gone from hypothetical to reality for me! I just won $20 in a raffle It's probably not enough to retire on, but maybe I can splurge and get that half-tank of gas that I've had my eye on
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Congratulations, Newf! $20.00 is way better than nothing. (Which is what I usually win)

I Is Stephanie

Oh, Newf! I'm so jealous!

Did you say a half tank? Not a quarter tank? Jeez, the money went right to your head, don't go bragging about it!
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Newf-good news!

I always wonder what I'd do. I think I'd make trusts for my children. I don't think I'd just give it to them. (This is based on the assumption that I'd win more than 1 Million.) I'd put some back. I don't think I'd splurge more than a couple hundred dollars on clothes. I'd put more back. If it was an unholy amount, I would have shared the pot with my sisters and friends. I'm a pretty simple sort of person.

Newf - you could invest that 20 bucks. In lottery tickets.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD

Now Newf, don't be spending it all in one place.

Congrats. $20 is cool. Better than a kick in the seat of the pants!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

One of our Mass. lotteries sponsors the arts. I don't usually play, but if I could convince myself my money's not being wasted, maybe I'll start. I think it's Mass Millions or Megabucks. If anyone happens to know, let me in on it.
    Count your blessings!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2333391;
    You know what I'm liking as I read through this thread? I'm liking that most people just want to polish up their existing lives a little, rather than get all grandiose. It's nice to know that there's a fair bit of contentment out there.
    I always wonder about people who win a ton of money and then go BANKRUPT. Or singers who earn millions and blow it all on their entourage and lavish lifestyles. Surely there's a screwup amongst us, too? But it doesn't seem like it. We seem to be a fairly cautious bunch that's worked hard all our lives and wouldn't risk losing it all by being ungrateful and stupid!

There was a show on TV recently - I forget what channel - but it was about people who won the lottery and where/how they are now. It's amazing how many of them are broke. They just go hog-wild and spend like crazy. I just don't get that. But then I've never won the lottery, so maybe I'd do the same thing!!

+ Reply to Thread