+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: If you won the lottery.....

Re: If you won the lottery.....

Here's what I'd do:

Fix up my house exactly the way I want it.

Set up a college fund for my son so he doesn't have to worry about college loans.

Donate some to favorite charities (Parkinson's Disease research, breast cancer research)

Donate to my church

Give some to family

I wouldn't quit my job, not so much becauseI like it, but because it would be WONDERFUL to be in a position to be able to quit any time I wanted. And because I only need three more years for a pension. I'm too cheap to give all that up.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2331295;
    I wouldn't quit my job, not so much becauseI like it, but because it would be WONDERFUL to be in a position to be able to quit any time I wanted. And because I only need three more years for a pension. I'm too cheap to give all that up.
    That's smart! Can you imagine having enough "f*$! you!" money so you could just leave any time you wanted to? That would be sweet...

MRD

I forgot about Habitat for Humanity as its my husband that always says he wishes he had more time and money to work with them. I think it would be a great thing to do as well.

And I'd do a huge and I mean HUGE shopping spree at the largest bookstore I could find and I'd buy every single book I've ever wanted to read or have read (usually check them out at the library). I'd need a uhaul to have them delivered to the house as that is the ONE place that I can usually find hundreds of things I want. Badly.
    I'd have a library built in my house with one of those cool ladders on wheels too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

It's fun to think about isn't it?

1. Put money aside for our retirement.

2. Put money aside for our granddaughter and any other grandchildrens future.

3. Pay off ALL my bills.

4. Pay off my kids bills.

5. Pay for my kids to go to college and/or finish college if they choose.

6. Buy a brand new camper and truck to pull it with so hubby and I have something to do when we quit our jobs.

7. Maybe build a new house. Not necessesarily bigger, but nicer and newer, with a huge master bedroom and private luxury bath and huge walk in closets. Oh, and a fireplace. And beautiful gardens with ponds and flowers etc. I'd do the gardening myself, since I love it.

8. Travel. Not just camping, which I love, but international travel too.

I can't imagine that I'd get too extravagant though. I have everything I need right now to make me happy. I'd maybe just get a few "shiny" things to brighten up a few dull corners!
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

!. Pay off the rest of my schooling
    2. Get an apartment across the street from my school
    3. Buy my parents new cars
    4. Buy them a house
    5. Buy my dad a boat
    6. Buy a super duper computer
    7. Buy legal versions of all the computer programs i need (hello, full version of Maya!)
    8. Set up money to start a No Kill animal sanctuary to helf abused and abandoned animals.
    9. Travel to places I've always wanted to go. Like Kenya, Australia, New Zealand, and Europe.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

What a fun thread idea... It's sure nice to dream, huh?

After the taxes were paid and the money was in the bank, the first thing I'd do is pay off all my debt, all my parents' debt, and all my ex-husband's debt. Then I would offer to buy my parents a new home, which they probably wouldn't want. I'd buy my dad a new boat. I'd buy my mom a new car. I'd give the ex the finger! (Not really, but I probably wouldn't do much else for him - paying off all his debt should allow him to have more spendable money every month for his own new car or whatever.)

Then I'd set up trust accounts for both my daughters' school. I'd also set up nest eggs for them - but I would keep them reasonable. Enough for a healthy down payment on a home. I would want them to get to use those high-priced educations!

I'd propose to my boyfriend. How cheesy is that? Pretty bad, I know... But he is of the mindset that he won't ask me until he is in a position to take care of me and my two daughters. Admirable and boyscout-ish, but honestly? I hate that the amount of money he makes weighs so heavily on his decision to marry me. He is an artist and a musician and while I appreciate his efforts to contribute financially to the relationship, what he brings to the table (IMO) has nothing to do with dollar signs and corporate ambition. He brings creativity and passion and sponteneity and fun. He is exactly the kind of person I want to spend the rest of my life with, and a large lotto winning would enable me to pop a ring on his finger and run away into the sunset....

Then I'd build a house and fill it with things that I love. Definitely would have a library. And a studio or two for pottery and painting.

We'd travel, for sure, mostly places like Italy and Greece and Japan and Egypt. And sunny tropical places with white sandy beaches. But we'd do it on a budget - nothing super duper extravagant. The only thing I can say is I've always wanted to do a backpacking tour through Italy, and while I'd certainly be able to afford a much nicer trip, I have built the experience up in my mind to be this romanticized version of reality that I absolutley must experience sometime in my life!

I'd pick and choose a few charities that my contributions would benefit. Habitat for Humanities is an excellent choice, as they provide help for those who are attempting to help themselves. I'd also consider St. Jude's or some other children's medical center or research facility.

I would certainly quit my job. I like it, but if I had to choose between spending my time here in the office or doing what I love - whatever that may be at the moment - it's not a hard choice. If my job were somehow rewarding, like teaching or something where my presence there everyday actually meant something to people, well, I'd maybe reconsider. But as it stands, I push paper and test erasers and schedule loan closings and smile every day because I have to, not because I love to.

Pay off the house, decorate it the way I really want and find a good handyman and put him on retainer.
    Two new cars.
    Top off the boys' college funds.
    Put boys in private school.
    Pay off all our family members' debt.
    Establish a nest egg for my brother.
    Establish a scholarship fund.
    Give to children's education charities.
    Weekly spa treatments for me and my husband - ahhhhhh.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

You know what I'm liking as I read through this thread? I'm liking that most people just want to polish up their existing lives a little, rather than get all grandiose. It's nice to know that there's a fair bit of contentment out there.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2333391;
    You know what I'm liking as I read through this thread? I'm liking that most people just want to polish up their existing lives a little, rather than get all grandiose. It's nice to know that there's a fair bit of contentment out there.
    Not only that, but the other similar thread running through is that everyone wants to help out friends, family and charities as well.

I would turn into the eccentric I've always wanted to be and then people could just say: "Well, she's rich, that explains it all".

Usally poor eccentrics are just "crazy", while rich ones, are excused by the money they have. I sure don't want to be "crazy". Just eccentric.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

If I won MILLIONS on the lottery - (I have actually contemplated this a time or two...) besides the obvious (paying off debt and taking care of my parents) I would -

1) Invest a substantial amount of money for each of my two kids.
    2) Donate a large amount to build a new school building in my district and make necessary rennovations to existing buildings to bring them up to date and make them safe, and conducive to learning.
    3) Become a full time volunteer working with public education part of the time, and senior citizens part of the time. I believe we owe it to the young to give them a great start, and we NEED to take care of those who made this life possible.
    4) I would build a great vacation home in northern Michigan that I would share with my parents and sibs...that would be my big splurge!

+ Reply to Thread