+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: If you won the lottery.....

I Is Stephanie

Re: If you won the lottery.....

Like Rattus said, it depends on how much.

For $1 million, I would buy myself that cute little car I've been wanting (then save it until I get my license, imagine, a 2-year-old car woth no flaws, heck, probably not even 200 miles on it! So that's 22,000.

Then, I'd donate 500 thousand to my school so that they could add the new wing without any worries.

After that, I'd have 388 thousand left, I'd put 250 thousand to IBD research, then, as shallow as it sounds, I would keep the rest for myself--I wouldn't spend any of it (well, ok, not all of it), I'd want to keep it for later in life, college, after college, maybe a foreign exchange program to Chile or something...

If it was more, I'd increase the totals that I was giving to each cause, an instant 10 million to my school so that they could forget about the new wing and just build a while new building. IBD research would still get 25%, and I'd still want the new car, only maybe I'd get a few of them...in different colors, so that I could use whichever one seemed to match my mood best. Then, I'd pay a small fee to my teachers, for putting up with all of my lies and claims that I did, in fact, turn in that huge project (even though I hadn't). I'd still keep the rest for myself.

If it was a LOT more, I'd forget the different color cars, I'd buy myself something really nice (BMW I'm thinking...), then the rest of the money would go to the same causes.

Shallow, I know, but I do have disease research and schooling in there....

Now MA needs to lower the legal lottery playing age...
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

I'd set up a scholarship fund for my neices and nephews, so that if they wanted to go to college they'd never have to worry about how they were going to get money for tuition and books. I'd buy a house in Las Vegas. A big house. With more than one pool. And lots of neat things inside, like a movie theatre. I'd get my kids a private tutor and get them more involved in activities that don't involve public education. I'd of course dole some out to our immediate family. I'd travel a whole lot, just like everyone else. I'd buy a summer house in Ireland or England so I could drink at quaint pubs and my husband could watch EPL soccer live. And the rest I would invest so that my children wouldn't have to worry about every being poor.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by 11sstephanie;2330657;
    Like Rattus said, it depends on how much.

For $1 million, I would buy myself that cute little car I've been wanting (then save it until I get my license, imagine, a 2-year-old car woth no flaws, heck, probably not even 200 miles on it! So that's 22,000.

Then, I'd donate 500 thousand to my school so that they could add the new wing without any worries.

After that, I'd have 388 thousand left..

No, you'd have nothing left; taxes, you know!

If I won 1 million, I'd try to just stay out of it for five more years, then retire early. If it was 3-10 million, I'd get new houses (but not ultra fancy ones) for my brother and sisters, and my parents if they (I doubt it) wanted one. The rest would, again, get saved and I'd retire early.
    For a really-huge amount, I'd have a custom small but really nice house built on a lot of acreage, and have a cool animal farm with a few horses plus whatever else caught my eye-- mini sheep, camel, ornamental chickens, etc. I'd probably also like to take in rescue horses and cats. Also I'd have just a couple of neat cars, like a pink 1957 Coupe deVille like we had when I was a kid, and a 1969 Olds 442.
    I would also hire folks to do most of the grunt work on this place, so I could enjoy it as I pleased, or run off for a change of scenery whenever I got ready.
    What I would NOT do-- mansion, ridiculously high priced clothes, jewlery, etc., super upscale travel, nothing like that. Also, would not pay for my nieces and nephews to have a free ride in life. I'd help them out, but what they would get would depend on what they were doing with their lives.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

If I won 1 million, after taxes, I'd buy a house, but to be honest most of it would go into savings/investments so I would not have to worry about retirement or later health issues. I would still work because I really like my job. Of course, a trustfund for my daughter, but she would still have to work. She probably would want to anyway, since she is very driven and is going to save the world. Also, some for family, friends, church and charities.

Actually, no matter how much I won that would probably be the plan, except more for each. The only difference is that rather than just donating to charities, I would set up a foundation that would provide grants for educational opportunites for children, Head Start, college tuition for low-income non-traditional students, etc. That would probably become my job. Oh! and Mom, daughter & I would travel some and I would hire a maid.

MRD

Well I suppose I'd do all the normal things like build a house, but it would be a "green" house, very enviromentally friendly and energy self-sufficient.

I'd shop at Whole Foods every week.

I'd finish my education

I'd travel

I'd fund research and donate to charities, establish scholarships.

I'd give to my church.

I'd take all kinds of interesting classes like pottery, photography, archery, fencing.

I'd establish an animal refuge on my vast land around my new enviromentally friendly house.

I WOULD NEVER DO LAUNDRY AGAIN EVER! EVEN IF IT MEANS BUYING ALL NEW CLOTHES EVERY WEEK.

I'd sponsor children all over the world that live in disadvantaged countries to come here and get an education.

I'd adopt more children

I'd buy a jeep (and convert it to run on biodiesel)

I'd have plastic surgery

I'd put up a monument in the family cemetary for my parents who don't have one.

I'd tell my brother-in-law to go straigt to you know where without stopping, but first I'd buy off of him the memorabilia my husband should have gotten when his parents died as we wouldn't get it any other way.

I'd take all my friends on a cruise to celebrate

I'd hire the Dog Whisperer to come whisper to Waldo and make him stop doing some of the little annoying things he does.

I'd buy a golf cart, cause I have always wanted one.

I'd buy and wear hats (I'd be the rich, eccentric lady who wears hats and rides her golfcart around and I wouldn't care because I was rich! )

I'd donate time and money to women's abuse shelters and programs

I'd buy a really great coffee maker and really great coffee. No more Maxwell house!

I'd get manicures, pedicures, facials and massages weekly.

I'd donate to veteran's programs

I'm sure I could come up with even more.

Of course, I'd help my family although most of them are better off than I am and don't really need it. But I'd educate my great-nieces and nephews.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2331022;
    I'd take all my friends on a cruise to celebrate
    A big FORT cruise, I guess MRD

But seriously, that was a lot of good ideas

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;2331031;
    A big FORT cruise, I guess MRD

But seriously, that was a lot of good ideas
    Oh yeah, I'd do a FORT cruise too. I forgot about my Fort friends.
    Sorry about that. I'd get to meet you all in person. Maybe we could do an animal friendly FORT get together, so we could not only meet each other, but all these funny and wonderful animals that we all talk about so much!

You'll recognize me when we meet as I'll be the one in the hat, driving 2 Jack Russells and one big Waldo in my golf cart!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

What a great thread. Not to sound like a total tool, but I pretty much live "the life" as it is (cautiously, as it were, so that we have savings for our old age). And as much as I like money, it can't buy the things I really want (a baby of my own; for my parents and in laws to have their health back etc.). But if I won a $1 million, I would net about $600,000 after taxes. I would put that all into the bank and get some interest on it so that our parents could live at home and have round-the-clock nursing care (believe it or not, this would only last about 5 years for two sets of parents). That would make me very happy knowing that they were able to remain at home for as long as possible...

Now, if I won one of those $100,000,000 million jackpot extravaganzas...then I'd take care of taxes first and then I'd do the same plan as state above for both sets of our parents and have a trust set up so that if either the husband or I passed away first in some freak accident, they would be well taken care of.

I would also set up trust funds so the nieces and nephews don't have to pay for their college educations. I'd also give them (at an appropriate age) seed money for a downpayment on their homes...but I would not give them so much money that they don't ever have to do anything in life. I don't think that's a "gift"--I think that produces lazy and irresponsible human beings.

BUT, I would quit my job. Heck, I've worked since I was in high school and would have no qualms quitting. The husband would probably quit as well. He's always wanted to set up his own consulting business so he could do that if he still wants to.

I have several family members who went back to school to get additonal degrees later in life. I would pay off their students loans, as well as the mortgages for our siblings.

The husband and I always dream about where we want to retire to. We would make that move sooner to some place with no snow like Hawaii, San Francisco or San Diego and also buy a condo in Scotland, New Zealand, and Tahiti ('cause we loved all those places and never wanted to leave when we visited). Property values may go down but they rarely stay down, so those would be sound investments (in my Lotto fantasy anyhow!).

I would have a trust set up for our future so in the event that we go mad and try to spend all our money when we're young, WE would have enough money put away to provide for medical/nursing care in our old age.

And I would have a good chunk of our money invested so that we are able to live the good life just from the interest.

I would probably still drive my old car 'cause it still runs. But I would sell our current home and have a new home built with a HUGE media room and an even bigger library (the kind where you need a ladder to climb up to reach some books).

Also, charities I would donate generously to: the Salvation Army, the American Heart Association, the Alzheimer's Organizaton, American Cancer Society, Unicef, Save the Children and a few more.

I rarely buy the lottery/Lotto/megaball tickets but will on occasion. I know that the chances of me winning are basically nil. BUT, having said that, it's still fun to spend $1 or $2 every now and then for a chance to dream big.

Ok. This is what I would do:

Build a huge custom house with all goodies. Hire a housekeeper, groundskeeper, chauffer, chef.

Travel the world-or until I get sick of traveling.

Give my family each very large sums of money-and tell them not to expect anything else from me.

Donate money to animal resue/spay & neuter programs.

Donate money to charities that help children from abusive situations.

Establish trust funds for my neices and nephews.

Donate money to that homes program where the low income buyer helps build. Can't think of the name-my brain is not working today.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;2331090;
    Donate money to that homes program where the low income buyer helps build. Can't think of the name-my brain is not working today.
    Habitat for Humanity? That's a great idea!

+ Reply to Thread