+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: If you won the lottery.....

If I won a good amount in the lottery, I would be really excited mainly cuz that would mean that my husband would be home all the time with me and it would make it easier to look after our children.

We would live in Montreal in the summer but definitely buy a house in the Bahamas for the winter. We would definitely travel with the kids especially to Disneyworld. I would also give a generous amount to my in-laws.

If I won $10 million dollars I'd buy:

A house in the same neighbourhood we're in now. It's not the nicest area but it's got a great school and my kids would want to be close to their friends and family. The house, with all new furnishings (everything I own needs to be replaced) - $400,000.

To my sister and her family - $1 million
    To my parents - $3 million. A million for themselves and the remaining $2 million for them to give to our extended family as to how they see fit.

About a million split up among my friends.

Charities:

$250,000 to the Canadian Cancer Society
    $250,000 to our Children's Hospital
    $150,000 to the MS Society
    $150,000 to the Heart Foundation
    $150,000 to AIDS research
    $50,000 to my church (they're raising money to build a new church)

$600,000 to my ex and his family.

That leaves me a lovely $3 million, which I would put in the bank and happily live off the interest.

I spend way too much time thinking about this stuff.
    Men are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you can't help but smile as you see one tumble down the stairs.

FORT Fogey
    Let's see, first of all, I'd set aside tons of money so that I could afford college with no problems, I'd buy a new house for the family, I'd buy myself a sweet car, preferrably like a Corvet convertible. I'd also donate a lot to charities and to my friends as well. It'd be sweet!

I'm not sure which would come first for me, being able to pay off my credit card debt and tell them to stick it or getting a new car....those both come very close to each other, as well as being able to pay back my grandmother for all that she's done for me.

After that I'd love to find a cute little house in one of the older parts of town (not sure if I'd actually move away, I sort of like it here), preferably a Spanish style little thing and hire Vern from TS to come and decorate it for me. Along with that set my mother up in a log cabin that she's been wanting forever up in North Carolina...she can decorate for herself atleast, she loves doing that sort of stuff.

I don't care if that was all my winnings, that would be more than sufficient...BUT...if it was a biggie and there was plenty left over I'd have one HECK of a vacation with my best friend and travel the world at our leisure. I'd also consider opening my own business and hiring all the superstar employees I've had in the past that I know would do a kick butt job so I'd never actually have to worry about the place...probably some sort of small cafe with catering service and a really comfy coffee shop open all hours of the day and night.

If it was a huge jackpot....
    I would quit my job, I hate my job. I would then take course work in something that interested me like art history or zoology and work as a volunteer at the meusum or the zoo. My husband could do whatever he felt like doing too.
    I would buy a bigger house with property and a stable. Get horses for the kids and do some animal fostering work.
    I would buy a cottage on one of the Great Lakes.
    I would set up a scholorship fund at my old high school.
    I would donate money to whoever I wanted to.
    I would travel with my family and at times without them.
    I would have a massage weekly.

Now if I won just a million...that would still be wonderful....I would pay bills, buy a new furnace/aircondition. Get the basement redone and get what I wanted down there. Get a superduper computer. Take a family vacation. and Save the rest of the money.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Re: If you won the lottery.....

Since it's been mentioned, I thought I'd bump.

If I won the lottery what I would do would obviously depend upon the size. A million dollars would allow me to quit my job, put $500,000 into retirement savings, pay off the mortgage and fix what remains to be fixed on our house and live on what money remains up to the age of retirement without having to change my way of living at all (with the exception of no longer having to incarcerate myself in that pesky cubicle every day). I would use my free time to take classes at art and cooking schools, and so my painting and cooking would improve. And my yearly charitable contributions would increase because I would no longer have to buy pantyhose.

If I won a huge multi-million jackpot, all the above would apply, plus I would either establish a scholarship for poor kids, or adopt a school, my contributions to animal organizations would increase substantially and, because Mr. Rattus would be able to quit his job as well, we would be able to take that trip around the world. We need loads of money for that and Mr. Rattus needs to be free for a good length of time because I won't fly, so getting overseas would have to be done by boat.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I have a whole list of people that I'd tell off.
    The bigger the jackpot, the longer the list.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I love to laugh out loud at the computer. Thanks Newf. I'd probably find a newer house in the same area. Mine has a lot of stressful problems that I wouldn't want to fuss with fixing. I wouldn't quit my job because I love my job, but I would tell them they didn't have to pay me as long as I still get health insurance. I'd buy my own classroom supplies so that when I get down to my last new marker with 9 weeks to go I wouldn't have to tape an almond to it so no students use it. I'd go back every year to visit my "family" and friends in Kenya and pay for any of them to come visit here. I'd set up some kind of trust fund so my kids would never have to worry about suffering, but I think an idle life is an unhappy one, so I would help them find a career that fulfills them. I'd own everything in the J.Jill catalog. I'd have 2 maids... one to pick up clutter and the other to do the actual cleaning. I'd better start playing or I'll never have the chance to win.
    Count your blessings!

Amanda, your list has me . That is just too freakin' funny.

First I would make sure the money was in my accounts.
    Then I would retire
    Pretty much leave my life the way it is, maybe buy new furniture, because my stuff is anywherer from 1-10 years old.
    Maybe buy a house with a moat full of ass eating alligators around it.
    Become a philanthropist
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread