+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Homemade ice cream

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar

Homemade ice cream

Anyone have a good family recipe that they'd like to share?

I'm happy with vanilla, but just thought it's time to celebrate national ice cream month with some homemade stuff.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Actually this recipe is my wife's and is really good on a hot summer day. It is not grainy as some homemade ice cream tends to be and is very easy to prepare.

Homemade Peach Ice Cream

1 (5 1/2 oz) package vanilla instant pudding mix
    2 cups sugar
    4 cups milk (I use 2%)
    1 cup water
    1 (13 oz) can evaporated milk, chilled
    2 cups fresh peaches, chopped or mashed into small pieces*

Combine pudding mix and sugar in a large bowl; add remaining ingredients, stirring well. Pour mixture into freezer can of a 1-gallon hand-turned or electric freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions if using electric maker; otherwise, crank your little heart out until stiff with the old-fashioned type--which is what I use. After stiff, let ripen at least one hour. Yield 1 gallon.

*Any fresh fruit may be substitued for peaches. I've used strawberries, but fresh peaches do it for me!
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

YUM! That sounds really really really good Blue!

I love Peach ice cream, but I never get it!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)

Mmmm...that peach icecream recipe brought back some memories. I grew up about a 3 hour drive from a bunch of peach orchards. We would drive there every summer and buy several crates of peaches and then rush home to make fresh peach icecream. I think I'll try out your recipe Blue Meanie.

I wonder if you COULD use canned peaches if you can't get fresh ones. Although I think August is peach season out at the orchard about an hour from my house....

I thought Z was posting some intense recipe here (as I still refer back to her crockpot ones )

I beleive that peach season is starting in B.C. We are looking to can some peaches, but I think we'll look at trying this ice cream also.

+ Reply to Thread