+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to go for a long weekend

Where to go for a long weekend

Hi folks. I will be going somewhere with a friend for a long weekend this summer. We are open to suggestions for areas within driving distance of NYS. A couple of preliminary thoughts were Vermont and Boston.

Where would be a good place to go and what can we do? I would like sightseeing, a gallery, dinner and dancing. I'm also open to something new.

Will you make some good suggestions?

THANKS!

Well, that's a question that would be relative to people living in your area. We like to go to Austin, San Antonio for long weekends (driving distance). But sometimes we'll fly to Mexico or Florida for a 4 day weekend.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Toronto...Chicago...? Too far, maybe?

I'd fly to Paris...but since my checking account balance is around $600-- probably a bad idea.

eldee, I think Boston, Vermont, NH, Maine are all great places. There are tons of bed & breakfasts and of course lots to do. If you are really considering coming here, let me know and I'll recommend some stuff depending on where you're staying. I also have a few bed & breakfast recommendations.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Block Island, RI!!! Absolutely, it is the best, most beautiful place within reasonable (you don't want to spend the weekend in a car) driving distance. BI is gorgeous, on the National Trust's Ten Last Unspoiled Places, with wonderful little shops and the most perfect beaches ever. Scotch Beach, right off the ferry, is my favorite beach anywhere. Lots of charming, Victorian bed and breakfasts - try the Weather House (or something like that) a former weather station. I worked there as a chambermaid, so I should know! (years ago, but it was gorgeous!) Block Island is (and I have travelled all over Western Europe) the most heavenly place to stop, see stars, have a cold Sam Adams, and then go nightswimming.
    Et in Arcadia Ego

Thanks! I'm getting some good suggestions!

We go to Traverse City or Mackinac Island for long weekends. That doesn't help you much, though

FORT Newbie
    I would think that Niagara Falls would be perfect unless your on the other side of the state. Toronto is a good suggestion too if the SARS stuff is finally over.
    "A smile is a beautiful thing"
    Hilton Head Island - My favorite vacation spot

Just a word of advice - if you *do* go to Niagara Falls, do NOT stay on the American side. Trust me on this. I spent 28 years of my life 10 minutes from there. It's a dump. They took one of the natural wonders of the world and turned it into an industrial wasteland. The Canadian side is a tourist trap haven, but at least it isn't abandoned industry.

Thanks folks, I'll ask about Niagra Falls. One of the girls where I work recently went there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast