+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where to go for a long weekend

*quietly stepping out of the thread, regretting about getting invovled*
    Who shot who in the what now?

Fade to black
    Oh where to go on a long weekend? Well here in Minniesota - it's fun to go up North hit the lakes, soak up the sun, dance the night away. I'm particularly fond of Detroit Lakes, MN and hey FHM just mentioned them in their beaches edition so it can't be all that bad!

If you've never been to Lake George in upstate New York, eldee I would highly recommend it. Good times there. Lots to do nearby with Saratoga Springs close by.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    Just a word of advice - if you *do* go to Niagara Falls, do NOT stay on the American side. Trust me on this. I spent 28 years of my life 10 minutes from there. It's a dump. They took one of the natural wonders of the world and turned it into an industrial wasteland. The Canadian side is a tourist trap haven, but at least it isn't abandoned industry.
    I agree, the Canadian side is definitely a lot mroe fun.
    "A smile is a beautiful thing"
    Hilton Head Island - My favorite vacation spot

Thanks Gal108.

Hazy, I'll be in Saratoga Springs on Tuesday. I hope it doesn't rain.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    Usually we go to Michigan on long weekends to visit the grandkids, but I like the Finger Lakes area in New York and Buffalo may have a bad rep, but it's a nice place to visit and not far from Niagra Falls. You can drive on the Canadian side from Buffalo along the Niagra River and the traffic isn't so intense. For us it's about a 6 hour drive. We also go to St. Louis for Labor Day weekend. It's about a 7 hour drive. We can't this year though, my daughter who usually goes with us is expecting in September and the doctor won't let her travel more than an hour away.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

FORT Fogey
    The only long weekend journey here is Branson..lol

Quote Originally Posted by gracie
    Usually we go to Michigan on long weekends to visit the grandkids, but I like the Finger Lakes area in New York and Buffalo may have a bad rep, but it's a nice place to visit and not far from Niagra Falls. You can drive on the Canadian side from Buffalo along the Niagra River and the traffic isn't so intense.
    Just wanted to take this opportunity to give props (and a shout-out, while I'm at it) to my hometown. Gracie is right. Buffalo may not be a great place to *live* (the economy is horrible), but it IS a wonderful place to visit. If you were looking for a place to spend a weekend and you wanted to see Broadway shows at a fraction of Broadway prices, see one of the greatest collections of modern art in the country or take a tour of really breathtaking Victorian architecture, Buffalo's your place. Just don't try looking for a job while you're there. You ain't gonna find one.

The Washington Post likes it too:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn....html?referrer

(Sorry 'bout this post. Buffalonians (current and former) get touchy about our "bad rep" )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123