+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would I make a good blogger?

Leo
    Premium Member

Would I make a good blogger?

I've been giving this some thought, and do you guys think I would make a good blogger based on my posts here?

It wouldn't be an entirely personal-life blog as most are; it would be a mix of almost anything under the sun. Sports, entertainment, politics, almost anything would be fair game.

This is something I've been thinking about for a few weeks. If I do go through with it, I do intend to try and put it right up there with the Internet's top blogs - even if it takes me a few years.

As someone who has faithfully read more than a few blogs, I'd say that yours stands the chance of being quite good. Your posts are articulate, informed and often witty - what I consider to be the three most important qualities in any online journal.

There are a few things that always turn me off when I first begin reading a blog. (I tell you these not because I think you'll make the same mistakes, but just as sort of a "WARNING! Be Careful Of This!") First and foremost, terrible spelling and punctuation. Everyone has typos occasionally, and there are certain words that just beg to be misspelled. But when I see a ton of "we went to there house" and "I don't know what your saying" kind of stuff, I always write the author off as being someone whose work I'm not going to be interested in. I also dislike the ones who use too much "netspeak" (for lack of a better term). You know, the ones who have zillions of "LOL!" and "ur" in them. Once in a while, yeah, that's fine. But peppering every sentence with them just reads as lazy and immature. Also, I tend not to like the ones who just have timelines of their day. "7:02 - made breakfast. 7:36 - left for work." Yeah, great. Want to elaborate any? No? Okay, I'm done with your site. People are pretty voyeuristic when it comes to having a window on people's lives (hence the popularity of blogs), but if you're going to let them in, give them something to see.

All that being said, I don't think you seem to be one who'd fall victim to the pitfalls I've laid out. I hope you do start one, and I hope you give us the link. Good luck!

Edit: I told you everyone has typos occasionally. I'm just anal enough to go back and change mine. Long live the edit feature!
    Last edited by Amanda; 07-21-2003 at 03:35 PM.

I also dislike the ones who use too much "netspeak" (for lack of a better term). You know, the ones who have zillions of "LOL!" and "ur" in them.
    Yep, I've seen tons of those blogs. Some of them I guess, are actually pretty well-written once you translate the "netspeak" into plain English, but if the whole page is riddled with the " 'speak", who would bother?

And in an analysis I did a little while ago, I've found that in some cases, you actually spend more time typing in the "netspeak" than you would typing in full words!

But like Amanda said above, I don't think you would be the type to do that. In my opinion, there's no need to try to fit in with the crowd that types in " 'speak," as long as the writing is enjoyable.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Someone once told me I should get a LiveJournal. I had to laugh. My life is too normal to ever be of interest to anyone but me.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

FORT Fogey
    I'd read it, Leo.

Well, now that I officially know what a "blogger" is...I'd have to say you'd make a very good one, Leo. You're quite witty.

Before the above posters enlightened me, I saw this thread and figured "blogger" was either some British slang I hadn't heard yet, or something highly insulting.

If you get a Live Journal, Leo, let me know because I'll add you to my friends list thing. Live Journals are really cool. You can join communities and stuff based on your interests too.

OK, so a blogger is... what? I still haven't figured it out... even after reading the interview with Sean

So... I'm old, I don't know, someone tell me...

Of course no matter, if it has to do with writing, and having people read it, you'll be a fantastic blogger leo
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Cali, it's an online journal thingie. Short for "web log", I believe. There are some extraordinarily good ones out there. A lot of them focus on specific issues, i.e. diets, kids, specific hobbies, etc. But the best ones, imo, are the ones that just let you into the entire mind of the author, and aren't limited to one topic. That's another reason I think Leo's sounds really promising.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    I think you should go for it, Leo. I'll read yours. I think you're articulate and witty enough to make your blog into one of those top blogs out there.

I need a livejournal because it is where I can share my real feelings about the day's events. My journal is somewhat personalised so not everybody online can read it. Thank goodness. I can't stand people in school reading my posts online.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast