+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now I lay me down to sleep...

Now I lay me down to sleep...

So we're wanting to buy a new mattress. Having never in my entire adult life purchased one, I had no clue how pricey these things are. Holy crap. $5000+ for some models? Ha. I'll sleep on bricks first.

But the fact remains that we're going to bite the bullet and get one. Any of you fine people have great ones that you love? Have one that you spent a few grand on, only to find that it sucks after a few years? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

FORT Fogey

My best advice

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    So we're wanting to buy a new mattress. Having never in my entire adult life purchased one, I had no clue how pricey these things are. Holy crap. $5000+ for some models? Ha. I'll sleep on bricks first.

But the fact remains that we're going to bite the bullet and get one. Any of you fine people have great ones that you love? Have one that you spent a few grand on, only to find that it sucks after a few years? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Yeah, Amanda -- it's a crap shoot!

I think your best bet is going to a reliable source like Costco. They sell quality goods without agendas, commissions, or BS, just quality stuff at decent prices where you don't feel like your eyeballs are being gouged out while your pockets are being picked.

Before you buy, be sure to bounce around with your s.o. on the floor sample and attract an audience, that's a "must."

My mom just bought a new mattress. It is an incredibly firm one with a pillow top. Man is it comfortable.

FORT Fogey
    Wow what'd ya know? I just got a new mattress today! It was on sale for ummmm...$300 or so? Maybe 400, but whatever. Point is that it was a good price and it's a soft pillow top! Tonight will be my first night sleeping on it. I would never spend $5000 or whatever for a bed. Crazy!

Just to clarify, I'm looking for brand names here. If you guys have ones you love, if you wouldn't mind telling me what kind they are, that'd be helpful. Same with crappy ones. Thanks!

Lil_cutie, let me know how yours felt last night.

Hi Amanda!

About 8 years ago, before the birth of my daughter, I invested in a Serta Pillow Top mattress set, Medium firm. It cost me about $700 back then and its still very comfortable.

You have to decide what kind of mattress you are looking for. Extra firm? Pillow Top? Do you want coils? Do you want springs? That is going to determine what cost range you will be dealing with.

Shop around, ask around and test some out. We have companies in my area that do mattress wholesaling, which cuts out the middle man and would save you money. Look for those in your area.

I wish you luck and happy shopping!
    Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God

I wish I could offer advice, but alas... our mattress sucks. I can't even tell you what it is because it's zipped up in this big allergy case thingy, so I'd break my back trying to get to the tag... sorry

If you do find the perfect mattress, let me know! We need a new one. Ours is only about 5 years old, and I really think a mattress should last longer than that.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

my wife is looking into these craftmatic type adjustable beds, those damn things run about 2 grand or so. We got a new mattress 4 years ago, a sealy posturpedic pillow top. Its not bad, I go to sleep at night so I guess you could say its still comfy. Starting to sag a bit though. Guess they don't last as long as they used to.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

The matress I've had for 6 years is still very comfortable. I wish I could tell you what brand it was, but the tag is on the other side, and I can't flip the matres over. Sorry.

Damn! $5000?!?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    Just to clarify, I'm looking for brand names here. If you guys have ones you love, if you wouldn't mind telling me what kind they are, that'd be helpful. Same with crappy ones. Thanks!

Lil_cutie, let me know how yours felt last night.
    It was so soft! I haven't slept on that soft a surface in a long time. Nice! And I had a nice dream to go with it, too. Anyway, let's not get into that. Anyway, it was a Serta if you were wondering and was a pillow top. You said that you were looking for brand names and there ya go! Good luck on your search.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast