+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now I lay me down to sleep...

We just bought a new twin bed for our guest room/office. I have taken a few naps on it and it is nice. It is a serta perfect sleeper. The one where the counting have just lost their job because the guy bought a new matress.

We decided to get a King size one for our bedroom and priced them this weekend. For a king pillowtop serta perfect sleeper matress and foundation it will be $500. We will get it from Sam's Club. That is where we got the twin for less than $300 and that price included the bedframe too.

Go online to the wholesale club's and see what they want for what you want. They will also deliver if you order online. It is worth it to pay $30 or so for the membership if it will save you hundreds of dollars on a good matress. Besides, at those prices if you do not like the matress in a few years, it would not be like throwing away $5000 dollars. Happy hunting!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Thank you guys so much for the advice! I've spent more time comparing mattresses online these past couple of days than any one person should ever spend researching anything. I was drowning in information, so getting firsthand accounts is really helpful!

Feifer, the Sam's Club thing is a GREAT idea. Thank you, because I probably wouldn't have thought of that on my own. I've seen Serta pillowtops advertised for $1500+ from retail stores, so you just saved me several hundred dollars. I owe ya one!

AmandaG, I just hope that you end up with a matress that you both like and can afford. Let us know what you end up with and if it is all you dreamed of.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Amanda--

If you are on a brand name hunt, then skip this post. If you are trying to get a good mattress and save some cash, then read it.

Mikes Furniture on Ashland just north of Division and Milwaukee. I bought a full size, "therepeudic" mattress there for like $100. It looks like a shady joint, but I am very happy with my purchase. They only take cash. But that makes the price a lot lower.

I think Queens and Kings were not much more. It came with a box spring.

Anyway, thats my cheapskate tip for you!!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by dobolina
    Amanda--

If you are on a brand name hunt, then skip this post. If you are trying to get a good mattress and save some cash, then read it.

Mikes Furniture on Ashland just north of Division and Milwaukee. I bought a full size, "therepeudic" mattress there for like $100. It looks like a shady joint, but I am very happy with my purchase. They only take cash. But that makes the price a lot lower.

Why am I picturing a guy standing out front of this store wearing a fedora, shades and a trench coat?

"Psst...Mister.....you wanna buy a mattress?"

*heheheheh*
    Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God

Quote Originally Posted by dobolina
    Amanda--

That's amazingly close to my house. I'll be trekking down Ashland with a mattress on my back. Just out of curiosity - how long have you had it? I'm not necessarily looking for a brand name here, but I *am* looking for longevity.

I believe we spent a few thousand on our king-sized mattress, but totally worth it.

Made sleeping while pregnant (an almost impossibility) much easier!!

20-year warranty. 30-day trial period. Now I sound like a salesman.

Anyway, the beds are expensive, but are comfortable, reportedly good for people with back problems, and built to last.

http://www.selectcomfort.com/

If you want a regular bed, then shop around and see what kind of deals you can get. You shouldn't have to spend $5000, I wouldn't think. The problem with comparing mattresses at different stores is that there are so many different names for the same mattress and different stores. So, you just have to go with what feels right in the store - if you can try out a mattress for a month or so and return if it's not working out, that's the way to go!

Doesn't 1-800-Mattress deliver right to your door and let you try out the bed for 60 days?

Good luck, and I hope you find what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    So we're wanting to buy a new mattress. Having never in my entire adult life purchased one, I had no clue how pricey these things are. Holy crap. $5000+ for some models? Ha. I'll sleep on bricks first.
    OMG! A mattress that costs more than my first house!

Suggestion: Plan a trip to Colorado--either Denver or lovely Colorado Springs, and stop by the Denver Mattress Factory. They sell exceptional beds with the pillow-top covers for under a thousand dollars a set. These are the mattresses we have, and I'm not cranky in the morning anymore even after a "bad-night's sleep." Might have to change my name to Mellow Meanie...With all the money you save, you could spend 2-3-4 weeks here having a blast, have enough money to ship it back to where you live, and meet all the FORT members in Colorado! And getting back to beds, if these mattresses are good enough for the Denver Broncos and Colorado Avalanche, they are good enough for anyone!!!
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

FORT Fogey
    Yeah, selectcomfort is always good too. Then you can set the bed to whatever setting you want and someone else can set it to whatever they want. No arguing about mattresses. Mine is quite comfy! No backaches so far...(I had 3 different sets of them from May to June.) A girl isn't supposed to get them at 18!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12