+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: News on the DC area killer

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Damn, false alarm.

There was a "shot fired" but it didn't hit anyone. And...ironically in the same area someone had called in to say a white van was pulled over.

Sorry guys
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

What a shame.

I have another one of my "questions".

Do states that don't have the death penalty generally extradite to those that do?

I know Canada won't extradite to US states with the death penalty as there is no capital punishment here.
    The UK wouldn't extradite to a US state that had capital punishment for the same reason.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I'm pretty sure that the state can't hold someone and must extradite them to the jurisdiction where the crime was committed. Of course in this instance where there are 2 states and the District that are impacted, I'm not sure how that would work.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)

Yeah, I think maybe the local stations are getting a bit into "wishful thinking" mode -- which I am too, and got excited at the prospect that this sociopath had been caught.

I keep flipping the radio station around. I'm not sure who was reporting it though because a friend had called me on her cell phone to tell me.

Fluff, if murders happen in multiple states, like this has, then the accused can stand trial in all states, separately.

What usually will happen is, they'll find the "toughest" state (i.e. death penalty, or hardest judges, etc.) to prosecute first. If they're guilty in that state, and get the toughest sentence, then they don't have to bother prosecute in the remaining states.

So, the most probable case here would be that they'd put the guy(s) on trial in Virginia first, where a death sentence means exactly that...If they fail to get a conviction there, they can move to another state and re-try it for murders committed in that state.

Thanks John! That makes total sense.

Excellent.
    Thanks for that John.
    It's interesting to see how the different legal systems work.
    "That's Numberwang!"

LG.
    I'll second what John said. US states must all allow extradition to other states if a more serious offense was committed in that state. If the same offense or offenses is committed, then there may be some jockeying for position by the various district attorneys. The US Constitution sets up extradition (as well as federal crime jurisdiction) for all states, unlike our extradition treaties with other countries (like Canada) in which terms are negotiated for each treaty. States also must give "full faith and credit" to rulings and judgments done in other states, such as convictions, but also including marriages and divorces.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Another Shooting in Va

Occured approx. 8:45, Victim is a 37 year old white male. Was shot in the stomach while leaving the Ponderosa Steak House with a female companion. The restaurant is adjacent to I-95.

Victim has so far survived and is in surgery at a trauma center.

This occred in Hanover County....a few miles above Richmond Va....approx 90 miles south of DC.

Reports indicate another white van with ladder was sighted (could be just a regular white truck...but it's a constant in most of the shootings).

Perc glad to hear from you. I just sent you a PM to make sure you were okay.

+ Reply to Thread