+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dilemma Revisited: Large Passengers on Planes

Princess
    Hey Wayner - what do you think I'm doing here !!
    (Where did you grow up? How old were you when you moved? Mind you, not all "over seas" societies are equal )

Well, I am very overweight. I know that I am large, but had not traveled by plane for 2 years when I went on my honeymoon and was surprised at how cramped I was in my seat(I was incredibly embarrassed squooshing into my new hubby's seat). I vowed to always go First Class when traveling by plane from that point on. As it stands; I have not been on a plane since then. I think it would be of great service if the person taking the reservation would ask how long it has been since the purchaser has traveled by plane and if they are aware of the seat limitations. If they ask everyone, then it would not be discrimination(esp. over the phone...noone can see you). I do not want to pay more to travel, but I do not want to pay more to buy clothes or eat either. My choice to consume more food and not exercise to balance that has limited my options in many areas. I cannot ride amusement park rides. I do not fit into some of the older theater seats when viewing movies or plays. I have trouble getting in and out of some restaraunt boothes; if I fit at all and some of the chairs are no party either. Those are consequences of my habit. The airline is not responsible for my actions. Other ppl should not have to pay for my habit. Seats are a commodity. Before my weight ever got out of control I thought airline seats should be bigger and have more legroom. I never thought that I should be given an additional seat at no charge. I feel greatly for both of the women in the story.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I am torn on this subject too. I think fluff has the right idea. Make the darn seats bigger, for everyone.
    I am 5'4 and weigh 120, so neither weight nor height has ever been an issue for me on flights. I can't imagine what it must be like to be tall and uncomfortable, or overweight and not only uncomfortable, but knowing you are making others uncomfortable also!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

At 6' 7", I can't really fit into a normal seat on an airline. I must have at least Exit row, and failing that, first class or one of the business class seats with no seat in front of me.

I'm willing to pay extra for first class if necessary (and it frequently is), or pay extra to fly airlines that have more room (i.e. Midwest Express or AA). My size isn't something I can do anything about, but technically, I'm being financially punished for it.

Originally posted by Wayner

I just wish the airlines had bigger seats and more leg room. At 6'3", if I don't get an exit row, I end up eating my knees. At least they're tastier than most of the airline food you get these days. )
    True! Maybe if the airlines were more concerned with service and less concerned with the supersize of their profit; we might not be having this discussion. I say make enough room for everyone to sit in a full sized EZ-BOY recliner!

It's such a difficult subject. When I travel by air, I expect to be uncomfortable. My physical dimensions don't usually cause me trouble except that I like to sit in the aisle seat so I can stretch my legs out. But I know with 100% certainty that the person in front of me will lower their seat back into my crotch because it always happens to me. And because I usually travel with kids, I'm banished to "the zoo" at the back of the plane where all the other parents with kids go so they can smell jet fuel and hope that their own sleeping children aren't awakened by other crying or laughing kids. The idea here is to protect the childless travelers riding in the front of the plane by muffling the shrieks and giggles with the drone of the engines. Anyway, I understand all of that. I expect it, and I never anticipate a joyous flight anymore.

Well, that turned into a bit of a rant, I guess. Sorry. I don't even know what my point was now.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Princess
    Feifer - thank you for sharing.
    After reading all comments... I am inclined to agree with fluff. Flying these days is a pretty unpleasant experience anyway, without being inconvenienced by getting cramped in a space that small. Really, even if the person next to you is pretty average sized, they still always intrude in "your space". But of course, no-one wants to pay for that extra space... so what to do?

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Where did you grow up? How old were you when you moved?
    Modesty, I moved to Iran when I was 6 and came back to the US when I was 12. My dad worked for Northrop Aircraft Corporation and was an technical rep to the Iranian Airforce on the F-5 jetfighter. It was a great experience and I think it made me appreciate the freedoms opportunities that we have in this country.

look how i brought back this conflictive topic and ran away! j/k, work called.

i remember before, on the old thread, saying this...
    i, too, am quite average sized and each and every time i book a flight, i, like paulie, go in with the knowledge that i'm about to be uncomfortable for the duration of my flight. it's a given. i do not have leg room and i'm only 5'6". i do not have wiggle room, and i'm only 140 lbs. that doesn't seem logical to me! for whom is the seating designed? fluff? j/k.

it has been a couple of years since i've traveled, but when i did, i always took the latest flights out, knowing they wouldn't be full, then i would ask the check in person giving out boarding passes to please put me in a row with one or no other people. this always seemed to work. in flights where i couldn't get seats by myself, often the agent would put me in first class.

i realize not all of you are single or childless, so flying out late isn't a luxury you can experience, but i'm telling you, these flights have been the only ones i've ever enjoyed. do it if you can. and never just accept the seat you booked online or that you were given without asking for somewhere comfier or with an empty space next to it. i realize that many flights are overbooked, so this isn't always an option either.

when i've flown out with the bulk of america, i fly on (is it AA or united) the carrier that gives 6 inches more leg room. makes a lot of difference in my level of comfort.

Princess
    Wayner - don't take this the wrong way, but Sweden and Iran has basically nothing in common. (Except that both are inhabited by human beings). Sweden has often been called "US's 51st state"! - we are extremely influenced by US. The main difference being what I described previously. Of course, there are many other cultural differences, but we have freedom of speach and freedom of religion and all those most important things!

(Were you in Iran durin the Shah or the Ayatolla period? Just out of my curiosity )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast