+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: What magazines do you subscribe to?

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I'm looking for some new and interesting things to try at home that don't require a souz chef and an 8-burner stove
    If you're looking for "normal," non-gourmet/complicated things, you need "Taste of Home." It sounds kind of cheezy (their tagline is "The Magazine Edited by a Thousand Country Cooks"), but you can find some really great stuff in it. So far, there's only been one recipe we made out of it that we didn't like in the five years we've received it. We used to get "Bon Appetit," but the recipes were really time consuming and difficult to make, and I won't even talk about the calorie issue.

There are quite a few magazines that find themselves in my mailbox:
    Time
    Computer Shopper
    PC World
    ESPN The Magazine
    Vibe
    Highlights for Children
    Essence
    Self

Thanks, Mantenna!

The only problem with website recpies, bobmac, is that I've learned not to trust the opinions of others on those sites. I've made a few things that totally blew, and had rave reviews from other users.

Yep, probably the recipe's fault there, John.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Well of COURSE, Paulie, you silly goose!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    Ooo, Lil_Cutie likes football!! How YOU doin', LC?!?
    Paulie! You love football too? That's awesome. You're seriously such a cool guy. Hmm...what team is your fav?

FORT Fogey
    Yeah, I've never tried to make anything that I got directions from a website. It's true that people's tastes are different too. What you might love, someone else could totally hate! And vice versa.

Seattle Seahawks, LC. Yes, I know. There are programs to help people like me.

BTW, I got an offer last night to subscribe to Entertainment Weekly again. $20 for 40 issues AND they'll throw in periodic free movie passes for me and a guest. It's some sort of "Professional Courtesy" offer. Now...I don't know what kind of professional they think I am, but I am sorely tempted to renew my subscription. I love the magazine, but (as I mentioned earlier in this thread) I compulsively read it cover-to-cover when I subscribed before, and it carved into my book-reading time. But that's an incredible deal.

Argh! What should I do?
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    If you're looking for "normal," non-gourmet/complicated things, you need "Taste of Home." It sounds kind of cheezy (their tagline is "The Magazine Edited by a Thousand Country Cooks"), but you can find some really great stuff in it. So far, there's only been one recipe we made out of it that we didn't like in the five years we've received it. We used to get "Bon Appetit," but the recipes were really time consuming and difficult to make, and I won't even talk about the calorie issue.
    I can vouch for this. As Mantenna said, it's a cheesy, but dang tasty magazine. And everything's really easy to make, and they have little pull out, perforated recipe cards for every single recipe.

Paulie - isn't that a weekly mag? So why only 40 issues...hmmm? I say unless it's 52-54 or 56, then nah....
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

I think, if memory serves, they have a few issues that are double-sized and serve for two weeks. I think 40 issues is almost a year's subscription.

+ Reply to Thread