+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What magazines do you subscribe to?

I actually went to band camp.

Quit it. Stop laughing at me.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Fade to black
    As if that's possible.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

FORT Fogey
    Hehe, I just like to make jokes about band camp. But plenty of cool and popular people at my school played in the band. All of the flutes were played by girls. Who says that being in the band is geeky? It's not that way at my, well, umm...high school. It's not really my school anymore...

Anyway, I sang in the choir and that wasn't nerdy either. Did it for all 4 years.

Ooooook time to get back on track. I completely got off track.

I subscribe to Teen People and YM. But once those subscriptions run out there will be no more mags. getting older sucks!

LilCutie - I used to read teen magazine a few (LOL) years ago. Now I read The Nation, Smithsonian, and The Skeptical Inquirer. (Admittedly, if I just got out of high school I would think that was pretty boring.)

At least go out and get a subscription to Rolling Stone, or Interview. Leave those Teen Beat mags in the past!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fogey
    Yeah those mags bore me. I'll have to try Rolling Stone or Interview(never heard of that one though) sometime. I could go for something a little bit more older.

You guys! Stop picking on Greenie!!! :nono

(Actually I wish we had a little flute-playing smiley expressly for the Greenster, in the vein of that little rockin' guitar dude.)

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    [...]I subscribed to Entertainment Weekly, which I read religiously every week cover to cover. I decided, though, that I wasn't getting enough real reading done so I killed off that subscription.
    I also used to subscribe to EW until I realized that I could get all the entertainment information I needed for free on the internet.

Despite being a mag hag (I'll read anything, and magazines are a great quick fix in between, you know, reading Pynchon and Dostoevsky, of course), I actually don't subscribe to many magazines. I'm very fortunate to have a friend in advertising who brings me a grab bag selection every month, which varies but often includes The New Yorker, National Geographic, Vanity Fair, Travel & Leisure, Gourmet, Food & Wine, In Style, Utne Reader, Body & Soul. My brother gives me his old Maxims, Stuff, Gear, and boy mags, which I think are sheer fun to read. I'll occassionally look at women's fashion magazines, but there's usually something in each issue that annoys me; I just want to see the new Chanel Glossimers color line, not hear about the stupid Hilton sisters. I do like Estylo and Audrey though.

I also just got a subscription to McSweeney's, which is a quarterly literary magazine (ask SFG about it ).
    Yes, I love, love, love McSweeney's. It's actually the only magazine I subscribe to now, other than Time. It's a fantastic literary journal spearheaded by Dave Eggers (of "HeartBreaking Work of Staggering Genius" fame) and some of the old Might crew. Profits go to their Valencia project, an non-prof arts prgram for kids in San Fran. It features excellent short stories, not stuffy, just good story-telling. The last issue was guest-edited by Michael Chabon ("Adventures of Kavalier & Clay") and has new pieces by him, Nick Hornby, Stephen King, Michael Crichton, Aimee Bender, Elmore Leonard...geez, do you get the feeling I friggin love this mag?

Oh, and I thought I wangled a free subscription to Maxim, but I'm concerned that I might've been had. I haven't received my first issue yet, and it's been a while.
    Paulie said "wangled" *runs off laughing with juvenile glee*
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Fade to black
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    You guys! Stop picking on Greenie!!! :nono
    But but...

what else will I do with my free time?
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Premiere (about films and actors)
    Cooking Light

I don't subscribe to, but love People (so trashy and gossipy), Martha Stewart Living and Interview. Actually I love just about any magazine.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    my roommate in college was in the band- you think high school band people are weird- you should see them when they get to college...

i subscribe to:
    Runner's World
    Maxim
    Bicycling

they all seem to motivate me one way or the other through triathlon season...

I'm not a magazine reader...which is not to say that I don't read them if an opportunity presents itself. I ended up with a free subscription to Biography that I glance through from time to time. Sometimes I'll read one of my boyfriend's Air and Space mags, and I enjoy reading gossip mags like People while munching a sandwich at the deli or sitting in a doctor's office.

+ Reply to Thread