+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What magazines do you subscribe to?

I used to subscribe to Discover and PC Magazine, but I never read them at all. Then I subscribed to Entertainment Weekly, which I read religiously every week cover to cover. I decided, though, that I wasn't getting enough real reading done so I killed off that subscription. Now all I subscribe to is The Writer. And I do read it every month. I also just got a subscription to McSweeney's, which is a quarterly literary magazine (ask SFG about it ).

My wife subscribes to a couple different parenting magazines, but she says she's probably going to kill off those subscriptions because the articles tend to repeat themselves far too much.

Oh, and I thought I wangled a free subscription to Maxim, but I'm concerned that I might've been had. I haven't received my first issue yet, and it's been a while.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Paulie, is "The Writer" better than "Writer's Digest"? I just got a gift subscription to it a month ago, haven't received my first issue yet, though, and I'm very excited. So...good? Worthy? I'm anxious. (there should be a smilie with a little guy rubbing his hands together)
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

maxim (yes, it's a subscription in my name! )
    entertainment weekly
    pc gamer

off the newstands, i buy People a lot, and will often buy other chick mags if i like the cover model.

Shazzer, I've never subscribed to Writer's Digest, but I've flipped through a few issues. I find that I prefer The Writer because it's a thinner magazine and seems to be more focused. Each issue usually has a theme of some sort, and many of the articles are centered around that theme. The articles are always informative and pertinent, and I can easily determine if a given article relates to me or not. It's pretty easy for me to pull everything of value from the magazine in a month's time, even allowing for lots of leisure reading and writing.

Writer's Digest is a good magazine, though, and it's been around for a long time. As a total aside, I belong to their Book Club. I've got a small library of writing guides through them, in fact.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    Writer's Digest is a good magazine, though, and it's been around for a long time. As a total aside, I belong to their Book Club. I've got a small library of writing guides through them, in fact.
    Me too. I can't think of the titles off hand, but I think I may have ....um....40 or so books on writing, not just writer's digest, but many others. (I actually might even have more than that...ai yi yi ).

Thanks for the info. on The Writer. I am very, very excited!
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

Hey, maybe we can huddle up in the Books forum and whisper to each other about the articles each month?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    Hey, maybe we can huddle up in the Books forum and whisper to each other about the articles each month?
    Coolio! Hey, I know this is off topic, but do you tend to do a lot of writing exercises when you write? Prior to "really" writing?

No, not really. I just sit down at the keyboard and let 'er rip.

On topic: um, still waiting for that Maxim subscription.

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    My favorite magazines are Marie Clare, People, Playboy and believe it or not Men's Health! I tend to buy them straight from the newsstands.

I subscribe to:

Vanity Fair
    Out
    The Advocate

I'll often buy People, Us Weekly, Entertainment Weekly, etc. off the stand if there's an article in there I'm interested in.

+ Reply to Thread