+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm such a sucker for infomercials

I'm such a sucker

If any of you are at all like me - and I have a sneaking suspicion that you are - you're totally open to the power of suggestion of commercials. I'm totally susceptible to most advertisements (gross toenail fungus ones notwithstanding). I'm serious. I've wrestled the credit card out of my own hand when those ridiculous Tony Little Gazelle commercials come on. So, because I'm weak as hell, I bought a Swiffer wetjet (thanks Trading Spaces!) and a George Foreman grill in the last month. I friggin' love both these things. I want to know what you people have given in and purchased. Ginnsu knives? That badass pasta strainer thingie? Have you fed Sally Struthers...err, I mean those poor starving kids? Tell me, so that I know I'm not the only moron on the planet.

I'm not that suggestable, I guess. But my father-in-law has a serious problem with infomercials. Everything from the Q-Ray bracelet to the pasta pots, and in between. For some reason, he thinks that the people on the infomercials are real people telling him how good something is, rather than PAID ACTORS!

I don't buy things easily, and I'm a born skeptic. But I recently gave in to my inner child and bought a TiVo. It rocks.

Ginsu knives? I want one!

Let me see...

I read about some kind of "power shaper" thingy, and me, being the believer (unless I can tell otherwise, which I can't), decided to go and shell out the bucks. And you know what? You'll lose more weight sitting around at home than "working out" with these lethal bungee ropes.

I have also given in to various mop and cleaner commercials, and the main result of my doing so is...that I use the thing once then never use it again.

Since I can't cook anything to save my life (besides pancakes and fried eggs), I considered getting the pasta strainder thing from the infomercials I always see, but then I read something in Readers Digest about it being unnecessary, so I didn't. And my parents didn't like the idea of it either.

There's definately more, although I can't seem to remember them...

I haven't bought anything from an infomercial, but I am absolutely obsessed with Food Saver one that's cash in the trash) and feel compelled to watch it whenever I happen to flick over and see it.
    Same with Ron "Set it and forget it" Popeil, I can't not watch that infomercial.

I'm getting a food saver for sure but I'll buy it from a store as the infomercials are usually on US tv.
    "That's Numberwang!"

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    ok, if you knew me you'd be surprized i did this, but I shelled out the bucks last year for the Power 90 weight lost workout system. dropped 25 pounds in three months doing a 20 minute workout every day of the week but one. it worked. tightened my gut and I had the energy plus I was taking stacker 2 pills. but hey. for once. I didn't feel like I waisted the money

ok, if you knew me you'd be surprized i did this, but I shelled out the bucks last year for the Power 90 weight lost workout system. dropped 25 pounds in three months doing a 20 minute workout every day of the week but one. it worked. tightened my gut and I had the energy plus I was taking stacker 2 pills. but hey. for once. I didn't feel like I waisted the money
    Power 90? Hmm...I'll look into it. But in the mean time, I'll buy a treadmill.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I haven't bought anything from an infomercial, but I am absolutely obsessed with Food Saver one that's cash in the trash) and feel compelled to watch it whenever I happen to flick over and see it.
    Same with Ron "Set it and forget it" Popeil, I can't not watch that infomercial.

I'm getting a food saver for sure but I'll buy it from a store as the infomercials are usually on US tv.
    I have one of the "Set it and Forget" Showtime rotesserie ovens and I love it! Also have the foodsaver which I got through QVC at a good price on one of their deals of the day. Had been looking at them at Walmart/Sams Club and saved about $40 at QVC. Got the rotisserie oven at Linens & Things saving about $60. It was a returned item - unused but out of the box.

FORT Fogey
    I am a sucker for "end caps" at places like wal-mart and Target. I get up there with my cart and as I am standing there I think " oh I need , batteries, film, a lighter thingy,travel pack of kleenex, nail files, oh little stain remover and static remover, oh and how about keychain flashlight.. " All that stuff they make it for people like me! I swear I need that stuff and in it goes! And don't get me near that sample aisle or travel size aisle, I just love stuff packaged in little sizes! I am crazy for it! I guess you could also call me a packaging sucker! Good Packaging gets me every time!

I don't usually go for Infomercials, in fact, I reprogrammed my tv to skip all the home shopping channels...

But I do swear by my Aerobed! (I bought it at the store though...) If you need an inflatable bed, I highly recommend it! Get the full size... It sleeps a couple reasonably well, is great for a single, and takes less floor space than the queen size model...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

I will admit it, I bought that laundry folder. It works great on towels, but not much else.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast