+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To those of you more technosavvy than myself...

To those of you more technosavvy than myself...

I need help. I got a new computer over the weekend, and, as always seems to be the case, I have a few glitches that need to be worked out. The main one that's driving me nuts is that my mouse wheel isn't scrolling correctly anymore. It still works and all, but it's choppy. It used to smoothly scroll down the screen, but now it does it in these weird increments. I *could* use the scrollbar on the side of the screen, but really - I'm just THAT lazy and I don't want to. I've played around with the control panel mouse settings, but it hasn't done the trick. Do any of you know what I can do?

Mucho thanks in advance

Leo
    Premium Member
    I don't know either. There is a setting in the Control Panel that controls the wheel movement, but you've already tried that.

Are those "weird increments" you described the same lines all the time?

Hmm..let me think how to describe it. It used to be that I could control how much it scrolled, whether it was one line or an entire page. It would go one line at a time, but if I kept moving the wheel, the page would keep scrolling. Now it's doing it in chunks. Say I were reading this page, and someone had a short one or two line post. I could scroll by it without even seeing it. I guess I just had finer control than I have now.

Does that make any sense?

Leo
    Premium Member
    Hmmm... it sounds like you need to fix the Control Panel setting. Go to Control Panel -> Mouse. There should be a tab at the top somewhere that says "Wheel", I think. Somewhere, there should be a setting that controls how many lines at a time it scrolls.

Okay, I'm kind of an idiot. I went back into C.P. and realized that there's a "1 line" option that I didn't originally see (I only saw 3, 6 and unlimited lines. Didn't realize there was one above it). However, I'm still having the choppy issue. Anyone? Anyone?

Leo
    Premium Member
    Crap - I thought that would fix it. Maybe it needs a restart. Other than that, I don't know anymore - bad mouse, maybe?

I'm sure by now you've already tried percussive maintenance.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I fail to see how beating a drum will help this situation any.

No seriously, dumb that down for me Mr. Stanford.

And leo, thanks for your suggestions. I tried the reboot thing - no dice. I think the mouse is good, though, because it worked fine before I got the new machine. Hell, it's one of those fancy optical ones. It damned well BETTER be good.

It's where you whap your computer (or, in this case, your mouse) to see if that fixes the problem.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Oh. I think I need more coffee, as that was a good joke that just totally flew over my head.

Take pity on me. My mother was just in town for 3 days. She's a lovely woman, but she's exhausting.

And yeah - the thing got its beating. Then it fell on my pinky toe. Mouse retribution is not to be taken lightly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast