+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need your help!

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

I need your help!

I have a dilema here that I'm not too sure what to do about. My brothers-in-law each have a child getting married on the same day at practically the same time. One is about 20 miles away and the other about 40. The receptions are within about a 15 minute drive of each other. We can make an appearance at both, but here's the big problem (at least to me) one sent an invitation to Mr. Gracie and guest, the other sent to Mr. and Mrs. Gracie and family. I don't know about you, but I think after being married 35 years, someone should remember who I am. I don't want to go to the one that didn't know who I am, but Mr. Gracie does. What do you think would be the thing to do? I'm really torn on the matter and the reply cards have to be sent by next week.

Help!!
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

I say make an appearance at both receptions, but not to point of stressing yourself out timewise. If you would like to end the night on a good note, pick the one where you think you'd have the most fun.

I know an invitation that says Mr. Gracie and guest is not exactly the most thoughtful thing to do, but you can be the better person and celebrate the wedding occassion.

I'm in the midst of having both my friends getting married (to each other) and there are a few "social faux pas" that seemed to have come up. However, I know it's not because they meant them to happen, but these things do; oversights and mistakes to happen. Weddings are stressful enough, as I'm sure you experienced before.

So just enjoy! Be there for your husband, as well. I'm sure he would rather enjoy en evening with his wife than being alone.

FORT Fogey
    As a wedding planner by profession, I would imagine that the brides probably looked at different wedding ettiqutte books to see how to correctly address envelopes. I would not take it personally at this time as it was probably an over anxious try to get it soooo right faux pas. If this were a personal invite to a dinner party or a christmas card yes. I am betting the bride would be mortified if she knew as so many especially if they are young commit such errors and then don't know. I would let it go and go and enjoy both events and if you feel the need simply "introduce" yourself to the bride just in case. Since this IS family it's probably best to assume it was a very simple mistake on the inviation addresser or the planner or the brides mother etc... If it wasn't family you could probably be more irritated and not go, but best to just laugh and Oh well this one!

That's probably what we'll do, but the real sticking point for me is the weddings are at 4 and 4:30. It's almost like they wanted to make you choose between the two since they both knew they were on the same date and neither one would change it. I'm not sure if they could have, but no one even tried as far as I know. I talked to one of the fathers and it was "Guess what, they're getting married on the same day. Ha, Ha." Having to go to both won't do either one justice, but I guess we'll grin and bear it.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Wow. That's really amazing that they are doing it on the same day. Sounds like you've got it under control.

Out of curiosity, what are some of the other guests doing that were invited to both?

I have no idea. The one that sent to Mr. Gracie and guest didn't invite any of my kids. They wouldn't have gone any way since they don't live around here, but it would have been nice to have asked them. The other uncle did invite them. I wouldn't be surprised if no one else in the family was invited to either wedding and I'm kind of afraid to ask and hurt more feelings than my own. I have to tell you that Mr. Gracie has a strange family. I think I got the best of the lot.

FORT Fogey
    It is very hard to stick to a budget and invite entire families. Unless it is a huge wedding it takes great pains to know you have to eliminate portions of famlies. But , I bet that is why. I would feel good that they think your special enough and go and have fun!

Well, the weddings are over and we went to the 4 o'clock wedding and the reception for the other one. I had a nice talk with both brothers and got explainations for the two weddings being on the same day and the way the invitations were or were not sent. The hard drive crashed! You'd have to know my brother-in-law, but I believe it's as simple as that. I'm very glad that we went to both since we were the only ones on that side of the family that showed up for either wedding. I'm sure there are reasons for that, but I don't want to get into family silliness. Anyway, thanks for the advice and help with the decision on what to do. Everything turned out fine.

+ Reply to Thread