+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Male/Female Ratio on Message Boards

Male/Female Ratio on Message Boards

Male/Female Ratio on Message Boards

Iíve taken a page out of Ajís book and started a ďponderableĒ thread.

Just a thought I had recently. It seems that these message boards, and others Iíve seen, tend to be dominated by more females than males. I.e. one guy to every five to ten women. Iím wondering if thatís due to social conditioning, in that women tend to be more chatty than men, and the boards are all about "chattiness".

Does everyone else agree/disagree? What boards have you been to, and are they more dominated by women vs. men, or does it just depend on the board and the topic?

Any thoughts? Just thought this would be an interesting discussion to start, and a springboard for some interesting "chattiness".

(Delete if too pointless, John)
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

I think it depends on the board, shazz.

I have no idea what the ratio is even on here, my most favoritist board!! But I also frequent a board about home theater/hdtv/home electronics, and I would say that the testosterone level there is much higher. Not that people fight or whatever, but just about every member is male. Because we males like to chat about that stuff and show off our huge speakers and huge TV sets.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

I would roughly guess this site's about 75% female, 23% male, and 2% other.

2 % other, hmmm, John, wondering what species...

John and dobolina....

I can see why the home theater boards are that way, dobolina, as I'm still living in the VCR age, with no cell phone, no speakers, no digital tv, no digital cable, yada yada. Amazing I'm online.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

FORT Fogey
    I've definitely seen more ladies here than guys. I think message boards in general are more appealing to girls.

Guys like to talk, when it's something that interests them, and I think a lot of reality shows are more appealing to ladies. How many guys watch The Batchelor? Or The Batchelorette? Or many others? The females watchers are much much higher. And I think on average more females watched American Idol and it definitely seemed that way on the board. Guys are very hard to come by. Especially teenage guys.

John, who's the other 2%

It depends on the board. I"ve been on boards that have been all women and some where there mainly men. My husband goes to a few about Palmgear, that I don't think a single woman posts on. Judging from some of the posts, guys can be just as chatty (and catty) as women if it's the right topic.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Princess
    Nancy, you are soooo right about all that!
    Guys are very hard to come by. Especially teenage guys.
    lil_cutie, ever checked out a game site?!

I also agree that it depends on the board... I am a member at several music-related boards and the membership is more like 98% male and 2% female at each one... usually translating to just 2 or 3 female members out of hundreds.
    ~M o s a i K~

I think there are more women here because most reality shows are "dating shows", and those are skewed toward females.

But maybe I'm wrong, and it's just my raw animal magnetism at work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast