+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Get to braggin'!

Get to braggin'!

So once again, a conversation I had with a friend has made me think of all of you lovely FoRT people. Strangely enough, many of the conversations I have these days with the three-dimensional people in my life make me think of the FoRT. But I digress...

Anyway, I was talking to a friend who was bragging ceaselessly. I mean, he just would NOT shut up. New job this, hot secretary that. Blah blah blah blah blah. After a lot of eye-rolling on my part, I realized that I was only getting annoyed because we've been sort of conditioned NOT to brag about our accomplishments. We're supposed to be modest and demure and very "Aw shucks. It was nothing" about everything. Well, the hell with that. I want to know what you guys are proud about. Have you won any awards? Did you finish school with honors? Have you raised some fabulous kids? Did you train for a marathon? Enquiring minds want to know!

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I like this thread - I think it's healthy to be proud, without sounding cocky! I haven't conquered the world, but I am proud of some things.

I'm proud of my daughter, who even at only 4 young years is so resilient and sweet and polite with MANNERS! (okay, sometimes she's definitely curb-worthy, but in general she's an amazing kid!) We work hard to make sure she is polite and fun to be around.

I'm proud of my work ethic (okay, I know it seems I surf the net all day, but I don't ) - I work hard at what I do, I give 110% and do a damn good job!

I'm proud of the relationship I have with my husband - it truly is a 50/50 relationship with all things - he's truly my best friend and I'm proud that even through some tough times, we work together to resolve things. We also have a lot of FUN together!

I'm proud that when I was faced with diabetes (unknown to me) that I immediatley picked up and went into high gear to make myself healthy. I have a family to live for!

I'm proud of me for being a kind and thoughtful person. In a world of so much self-centeredness (is that a word?), I try so hard to be the kind of person I want others to say "wow, I met the nicest person today"

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Oh Hell, I'm just going to say it: I am proud of the way I look. I work hard to keep in shape and to live a healthy lifestyle. I don't consider myself model/tv material, but I know I'm sexy and I'm not afraid to show off my sex appeal, without having to wear revealing clothing. I love being in my own skin and embrace my sexuality.

I'm proud of my boyfriend who is such a doll. I admire his work ethic and I feel blessed that he is such a caring, gentle, brilliant man. I'm proud of our relationship, because he teaches me every day, that patience is indeed a virtue. Thank god he has so much of it, especially as I am such a drama queen.

I'm proud of my parents who taught me about never accepting less than what I deserve and that NOTHING in life comes easy. I'm proud that they've taught me to use careful judgement and to always strive to improve. I'm also proud that they are both beautiful, attractive people. I love that my mom is considered a MILF.

And lastly, I am proud to be able to frequent the FORT community. You all inspire everyday with your insight. I love that we can have adult conversations and express our opinions candidly around here while maintaining a certain level of anonimity. I think that John his team of moderators, adminstrators, and writers are absolutely fabulous!!! Keep up the good work Guys!

You know, there are lots of things I'm proud of, but you're right. It doesn't feel right bragging on 'em.

HOWEVER , I am very proud of my three beautiful children. And I'm proud of the fact that I got my degree from Stanford University, especially given the break-neck course schedule I had to pursue during my final five quarters there to get out on time.

I'm also proud of my writing. And if I am to maintain any hopes of ever publishing a novel, I must remain proud of it, even in the face of rejection. I think I'll probably be able to manage that. Did you know that I won the "Best Writer" award for the state of Wyoming when I was a freshman in high school? That's sort of like stumbling into an Arkansas family reunion and being awarded the prize for "Most Teeth," but it's still something.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Fade to black
    I'm really only proud of one thing. That I am always myself, no matter what.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Once again, ajg....great thread!!

Most of the things I am proud about are things that arent necessarily MY accomplishments, but accomplishments of others who I supported and encouraged....for example:

I am very proud that my girlfriend is moving to Denver and taking a new job. She was very stressed out about it in interviewing and prepping for a cross country move...but I kept telling her how well suited she is for the job and that she would give a great interview, etc. She got the job, and a substantial raise, and is now moving out here.

I am proud to be an uncle, 4 times over in the past year. I am also proud to hear, from one of my brothers(they all live in Chicago, while I live in Denver), that even though I live so far away, I see my neices and nephew more than my other brothers do! (Thats not a knock on any of my brothers...I have just been travelling back to Chicago a lot and of course I visit all the newborns)

For myself, I am proud to have graduated college in 4 years. I didnt do it with honors or anything, but just about everyone else I know(including my 3 older brothers who all went to the same university) took at least an extra semester, if not 2 or 3 extra. I got in, did my work, and got out.

I am proud that I have been getting raises and praises from my company, in a down economy where our revenues are down. It tells me that I AM doing a bang up job.

I am proud that I was able to dig myself out of a 5 year funk of depression due to the loss of someone very close to me. I never thought I would recover and be happy, but last year at age 30, I was able to finally smile for real again, pick up the pieces and just allow myself to be happy.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Wow, dobolina, I never knew about that last bit. I was very pleased to read that you're happy, though. Thanks for sharing.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I was able to finally smile for real again, pick up the pieces and just allow myself to be happy

Dobolina - that's something to be very proud of! I'm glad to hear you're happy

Fade to black
    Absolutely dobolina - nothing one should be more proud of then the ability to be happy with one's self. Thanks for sharing!
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Thanks y'all. It was a rough road, full of doubt and misery. But one day, everything kinda just made sense, took shape, whatever....It was actually right before my 30th...a day that most people dread!!

And I've been having a good time ever since!!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast