+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The fish that ceased to be

The fish that ceased to be

So here I am, 29 years old and living in a college dorm for the summer. Being away from my other pets, I thought it might be nice to have something "alive" in this all-white, prisonlike dorm-style apartment. I brought "Fish"--one of those bettas in a vase with a peace lily--and placed him on the kitchen table, much like I did at home. That was about 10 days ago.

Sadly, Fish must not have handled the move very well, and passed on last evening after a several-day "illness." Aside from mourning his loss, dealing with the guilt of being a lousy caretaker (and oh, yeah--the crazy, stressful schedule of school!), I am now faced with the issue of fish disposal.

Call me sentimental, but I was hoping for something a bit more dignified than the toilet or trash. It's tough to be creative when I'm living in an unfamiliar city, have very little time to devote to a dead fish, and must act quickly--for obvious reasons!

I'm interested in hearing your stories/suggestions. . .please help!

Okay, this might be very stupid - but then again, I can be very stupid sometimes, and I make no apologies - but I've actually buried fish. I know how you can get attached to them. Some of them live for years, so it's only natural. Anyway, you could rationalize it by telling yourself that you're going to let his little fish body give something back to the Earth. Or something like that. If you wanted to be all-out cheesy (as I would), you could even put his lily on top of where you bury him.

Or, you know, there's always taxidermy. But, um, I doubt you'll go that route.

Edit: I almost forgot. RIP fishy. RIP.

My wife and I could never keep fish alive. I'm not sure we were doing wrong, but we killed off four fish in a little less than a month. The last one was the most painful. It was swimming sideways and apparently losing consciousness down the stretch. I stayed up with it for a while and tried to keep it going. When I went to bed, it was swimming normally and seemed to be alert, but it was dead the next morning.

Aaaanyway, we don't do the fish thing anymore. In fact, our friends were horrified when they first heard we were pregnant since we'd offered no evidence that we could keep even a pet fish alive for more than a week or two.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

it's not your fault paulie.

it's the fish. they have short lifespans. they die.

at least that's what i tell myself since all my fish seem to die too.

I'm in your camp on that one, splatty. My evidence: all three of my children have lasted much longer than a week.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

i have never been able to keep a fish, and when they die- they never float, they are on the bottom of the tank.

But, my friend had a unique way of dealing with her dead fish. She'd always get beautiful ones, then freeze them after they died.

Weird, but a different solution.

AliceBShoe, If you can't find a body of water, burying it also sounds like a good idea.

When I was a kid I won a goldfish at Coney Island. Goldie lasted a long time. After it died, we sent it to the Hudson River via...

My mother-in-law had this ancient goldfish that wound up dying when it somehow launched itself out of its bowl. The thing looked like one of those prehistoric marine reptiles. I thought it would never die, but I guess it decided to take matters into its own hands. My mother-in-law should've sent it to the museum when it died, but she probably just flushed it. She's very practical.

Originally posted by Glitternergball

But, my friend had a unique way of dealing with her dead fish. She'd always get beautiful ones, then freeze them after they died.

Weird, but a different solution.
    When I used to maintain an aquarium, it seemed like I was forever dealing with fish at one stage of illness/death or another. It seemed so cruel to me to just let them suffer until they finally died, so I did some research into the most humane ways to "put them down". Evidently the best way is to bash their heads in. Yeah. I wasn't going to do that. Next! The second best way, strangely, is to put them in a ziploc bag and stick them in the freezer. I guess because they're ectothermic, it's less traumatic for them to die by a gradually lessened body temp than it is for mammals. Is that what your friend was doing, or would she freeze them after they were already dead?

yes paulie. i firmly believed that all goldfish had extremely short lifespans . . .

until i was telling my mother-in-law this in a pet store and got a weird look from the sales person. she set me straight! OOPS!

i think the store even had a replacement guarantee on the lifespan of the fish they sell. boy, i would have had a lot of free fish if i had found that store earlier!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast