+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The fish that ceased to be

Cali, sorry I don't watch Survivor. Actually, I haven't seen TV in a few weeks. Kind of funny, this being a TV message board. . .

Eldee, I'm really bummed. I was pleased with the thought of having Fish memorialized in a photo. My friend stopped by the apt. to pick him up when I wasn't home. She said he was already losing his color (I didn't know this, because I put a box on top of the bowl so I wouldn't have to look at him ) and she couldn't schedule the shoot until about 3 days later, so. . . let's just say, Fish was not there when I got home. It's great to have good friends!

I suspect he met the big white receptacle. Thanks, Enygma for making that sound more dignified!

RIP

Princess
    AliceBShoe, sorry to hear about Fish's demise. I've had a few that died, and it's always very sad. I'm sure s/he is in fish heaven now

Just wanted to make a comment re. caretaking of fish. What I've learned:
    - an aquarium develops its own small ecology system, so therefore, when you change water, don't change more than like 4/5 ths of it
    - it's usually more difficult to get an "ecologically sound" balance in a small aquarium
    - keeping water temperature at an appropriate level is important, so a heater might be needed - not sure if there are coolers??
    - fish actually sleep at night, so make sure to turn lights off
    - it's also good to have something that puts air in the water (sorry, I don't know the name of it in English)

Okay, I have a funny story from when I was a child staying with my grandmother. We had an aquarium with some goldfish in it, and the fish kept getting this kind of rash of dark black spots called "ICK", or thats what I remember it being called. They also had a special medicine to put in the tank. Anyway, when my grandmother read that the rash was very itchy to the fish, she decided to help them " scratch".

Yes, my dear "good samaritan wannabe" grandmother, would take each affected fish out of the tank and with a child's toothbrush, she would try to "scratch" their itches! LMAO!

Invariably, the next day when she checked in on her "patients", she was horrified to find them FLOATING on the top of the tank! She took the dead fish back to the fish store and DEMANDED to know why her fish kept dying in her "wonderful" care!

The nice gentleman, after listening to her explaination of medical ingenuity, informed her that she had basically "SCALED" the poor fish and thats why they died!

I still laugh about it to this day. "Mother Dear" passed on in 2000, but she gave our family many smiles and laughs.
    Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God

Sepia -- that is very funny about 'scratching' the fishies ...

We went thru a fish stage at our house. we bought a 10 gallon. Then someone found out we liked fish and gave us a 20 gallon. Then someone else gave us a 55 gallon ... finally we bought a 110 gallon tank from the lady who owns the local pet store.

When we moved the tank, in order to keep the ecology right, she insisted that we leave the gravel in the bottom. What a dork.

About two weeks later I walk in the room and water is gushing out of the tank, onto the wall and all the electrical apparatus that keeps the tank going.

So I'm yelling at hubby - grabbing a net and snatching fish out of one tank, running across the room and throwing them in the other, smaller tank (with the other, smaller fish) - again never mind the ecology.

Of course the 20# gravel had caused an ever so small crack at the base of the tank, which kept growing and growing.... until it split.

Tank patched. Everyone returned home after a few days. Only lost a couple of folks.

You *do* get very attached to the fish. We had one that outlived all our early failures at fish keeping and lived about five years ...

uh .. we just flushed the suckers tho.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepialove
    Okay, I have a funny story from when I was a child staying with my grandmother. We had an aquarium with some goldfish in it, and the fish kept getting this kind of rash of dark black spots called "ICK", or thats what I remember it being called. They also had a special medicine to put in the tank. Anyway, when my grandmother read that the rash was very itchy to the fish, she decided to help them " scratch".

Yes, my dear "good samaritan wannabe" grandmother, would take each affected fish out of the tank and with a child's toothbrush, she would try to "scratch" their itches! LMAO!

Invariably, the next day when she checked in on her "patients", she was horrified to find them FLOATING on the top of the tank! She took the dead fish back to the fish store and DEMANDED to know why her fish kept dying in her "wonderful" care!

The nice gentleman, after listening to her explaination of medical ingenuity, informed her that she had basically "SCALED" the poor fish and thats why they died!

I still laugh about it to this day. "Mother Dear" passed on in 2000, but she gave our family many smiles and laughs.
    Ah, yes, the infamous "ick". I had some fish that got that. The first time they all died since I had no idea what it was. I thought the spots were just the fish changing scales or something. Kinda funny now, but not to the poor fish of course. Then I got this book about fish and read about "ick", and realized what had happened. So I got another goldfish and he got it too, so I got that medicine stuff. Goldy lived through that one, until the next water change. The water I put in was too hot and he couldn't handle it. So basically I boiled the fish.

We gave him the old burial at sea.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Oh no....the poor fishy!

Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God

ahem! cali, don't you mean, "jan burying the BAYUT?"

Hubby and I have no kids, but our tropical fish kept breeding in large numbers. So I'll have to agree that raising fish has nothing to do with raising kids.

Anyway, here's my sad fish story: Till a few years ago, we used to own an aquarium. One afternoon we heard what sounded like an explosion. There was water gushing out of the tank and fish flip-flopping in puddles all over the place. We scooped them up - some with our bare hands - and popped them into the small breeding tank. All the fish from the main aquarium survived. But they ate up the babies in the breeding tank before we could put in a divider.

I'm still not sure why the aquarium exploded. A friend said it might've been because it was right next to an uncurtained window and the sun may have heated the water or the glass enough to cause it to expand and burst.

We never bought any new fish after that lot died. Now I just enjoy my cyber fish-bowl:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123