+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The fish that ceased to be

FORT Fogey
    I too have buried fish... however, you guys have problems keeping them alive, I have no problem with that. A goldfish, like a feeder goldfish, was given to all of the guests at a birthday party i went to in 1st grade. We still have that fish and I am currently in the 9th grade. We also have some tropical fish from when I was born 14 years ago... Wow!!
    :rolleyes:

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    pinkieparrot, you are my kind of fishkeeper! I've been keeping marine and reef aquariums for the better part of 27 years, and it is always great to hear of someone's success with keeping fish.

Alice, I don't know what to tell you. I think its sweet that you care so much about the little guy. I can't offer any advice about how to treat him, but I can offer some suggestions about how to save his successor should you decide to replace him.

Look at your current environment and how it is different from where you had him at home. Did you change your feeding routine? Did he get direct sunlight in the new location? Does it get colder at night in your new location than it did at home? If so, it's possible that the extreme temperature fluxuations did him in.

Good luck with your next fish.

Thanks for the suggestions, gang! Paulie, Glitter, Splatty, etc, you've at least made me feel less guilty about his demise, although I'm still convinced it was the move that did him in. I felt worse because he was actually our "office fish" that I took home over the summer, supposedly to take care of him!

If I were home, I'd probably bury him. Here, I'm in a dorm with security cameras everywhere. . .it might look a little questionable. Maybe there's even a policy on burying (or not burying) dead animals on the premises.

We are near the bay, but a) I'm not exactly sure how to get there, and don't have time to figure it out b)It's a huge tourist place where, again, I would probably attract some unwanted attention, and c) frankly, I'm not anxious to carry around a dead fish.

I can't handle looking at him. It's creepy. Freezing is out. The roommate's not too keen on the idea either!

Here's my solution: (or non-solution, as the case may be!)
    I mentioned my problem to a photographer friend. She offered to take him off my hands and use him in a photo shoot. Creepy and weird, perhaps--but somehow it feels a little poetic, Fish having died here at art school. At least his corpse will be immortalized in her work. The stipulation is, I don't want the fish back! She can dispose of him however she wants, as long as I don't have to watch!

Oh, Wayner, I just saw your post. I'm hesitant to try another fish, because I'm not sure what happened.

I don't think his routine or conditions changed much. I thought maybe the jostling in the car may have been too stressful? He started to seem sluggish--laying around on the roots of the plant. Then he sometimes laid against the bowl. I tried changing the water, thinking maybe that was the problem. He just continued to get worse. Next, it looked like he was "bottom-heavy"--like he had some trouble staying horizontal when he swam. It seemed like his appetite had diminished. He hung out more and more on the plant's roots. The last time I lifted the plant a bit to drop some food in, he had a really tough time swimming, and seemed stuck in a vertical position. After that, he really didn't move much, and died a few hours later.

(I looked online a bit at fish ailments, and the only one that seemed similar also involved his puffing up and the scales sticking out--kind of like a pinecone. That didn't happen. His appearance looked pretty normal.)

Yeah, I know, guys--I'm spending too much time thinking about this fish! I guess I get a little attached to things

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    A fish of my dad's died due to the family being a lousy caretaker. I wasn't too attached to it but the fish is somewhat known as the family pet. It was the first fish by dad bought and he wasn't sure on how to take care of fishes yet.

So, we were all quite shocked and upset to learn of its death. We can't give it a proper burial because we live in an apartment and no land to spare. We have a solemn funeral, a minute's silence, and wrapped it up in a clean bag. It got disposed off.

But we've got more nice fishies now.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Originally posted by AliceBShoe
    .......Here's my solution: (or non-solution, as the case may be!)I mentioned my problem to a photographer friend. She offered to take him off my hands and use him in a photo shoot. Creepy and weird, perhaps--but somehow it feels a little poetic, Fish having died here at art school. At least his corpse will be immortalized in her work. The stipulation is, I don't want the fish back! She can dispose of him however she wants, as long as I don't have to watch!
    Not so creepy. At work we found a dead owl. It was beautiful with its feathers, beak and its talons were impressive. I put it in a box and took it to a photographer I know. All he could keep saying was "fabulous" and showed it to everyone there. The only bad part were its eyes.

Don't feel bad. I bought 2 betas and they both died within 2 weeks. They had a divider in the tank so they didn't beat each other up...they got fin rot. Not a pretty sight. We have also had frogs that died within two weeks.

I did buy two feeder goldfish a couple of weeks ago. One died within a week but the other is going strong. Maybe the streak is broken and I can buy a real pet without worry.

BTW...my daughter has been alive for 5 years so my abilities at keeping fish alive has nothing to do with how I keep my daughter alive.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

eny
    FORT Fogey
    to Wayner ...
    I think the water burial works well for fish ( Via the big white receptacle)
    We do bury the expired lizards though.
    (I really concentrate on keeping the kids and the dog alive)

Alice B. what did you actually do with the fish?

I'm assuming her friend OK'ed the stipulation and took him for the photo shoot.

Alice... did you watch Survivor? Were you one of the few who completely "got" jan burying the bat? I did, and thought I was alone.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast