+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How does your addiction affect your kids?

Princess

How does your addiction affect your kids?

OK, I don't have kids so I probably shouldn't even ask this. But anyway: There are a lot of people with kids here spending quite a lot of time on this site (and probably on other sites too). We didn't grow up with "reality shows" and internet. How do you think it's going to affect your kids growing up with having a mom/pop with a parent being "addicted" (using this term losely ) to reality TV shows? (I'm also curious about retired people with pierced tounges, nipples, etc., but that's another topic....)

My oldest son loves to watch the reality shows

As for the internet he just turned six so we monitor him alot
    RandysMom
    Don't Dream It....BE IT

I have two addictions: Food and Fort. My kids are lean machines. Their little bodies work well and they are fed well. They eat veggies as easily as they eat sweets. They actually think that fruit is a desert and cheese is a snack. As for FORT; they have a table set up in the office and play on it while I FORT or they watch a DVD. They color alot and like to draw and use playdoh daily(remind me to buy playdoh stock!) There are set times throughout the day where we stop and turn everyting off but classical music and do workbook exercises. They are 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 and we work on their ABCs and 123s. They are also learning addition and subtraction using houshold objects(you have five beads and take two away; how many left?). Since math was tough for me; I want to get them started early. We sing alot and make up our own silly songs when we cannot remember the words. The kids do see me on the computer alot, but they also see my smiling face admiring their work/play and get plenty of hugs and kisses from mommy. They know they are loved and they are turning out to be pretty neat people. Ask Sher. She is there aunt. Hehe!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

ah yes, no worries for feif and her addiction to fort! great mom, great kids!

as far as i'm concerned... i can feed the hell outta my addiction as i have no children to neglect!

i have a bf, but he's as addicted to the computer as i am, so it works out nicely. my main stay on fort is while i'm at work though. i get paid a nice salary and am given nothing to do...so i post and post and post!

My kids are all a little older. During the day they are at school, so my comp addiction does not affect them much
    My youngest (10) watches Survivor with me. My Middle one (son 15) said he wouldn't even start Survivor, as he was pissed about BB and his own addiction to that (even though his addiction was NO WHERE near the level mine was).

I would like to thank you though... I now am picturing retirement communities full of Tattooed, pierced people
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

My eldest son isn't interested in reality tv at all, he's only five so he's in bed by 7.30 most nights anyway.
    My youngest two are coming up for two years old so they also have no interest.
    My eldest is in school full time and my twins go to a playgroup everyday so they don't see me on the computer much.
    I don't think reality tv or message boards have any impact on them.
    "That's Numberwang!"

My wife deals with my addiction, but since I work from home on the computer anyway, it's not terribly noticeable. I try to get out at least once a day and take a walk with her and the dog, or run into town, or something.

I'm the only one in my family who likes reality TV, so having a site like this and spending so much time on it is a foreign concept.

Princess
    Oh - I hope you didn't take it as I was implicating that you don't spend enough time with your kids! I'm sure (by the sound of it) that they do perfectly fine! I was rather thinking about how cool I would have thought it was if I had had parents surfing the web and watching reality TV shows when I grew up (had it existed then....)! And I kind of wonder how that would have affected me. Ah well, I should think that when your 2-year olds become 15 they will think of RTTV and chat-rooms as the dorkiest thing!!

Modesty,
    I did not take it in a bad way and did not answer with a defensive tone. I am a "find the possitive in everything" kinda gal anyway. It was a good question and did make me think more about it. Any question that can help us fine tune our habits is a good one. I love how you just jumped in and made a big splash! Hehe!

:pond
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I don't have a problem, the kids still at home are of age to watch the shows. Both kids are into Survivor and BB.....so it's something else to chat about.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast