+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How does your addiction affect your kids?

No kids here, and I actually stopped watching the shows for now when PH got ugly. Waiting for a whole new season of reality.
    My hubby worries, however. Last night just as I was headed upstairs for bed, I had to stop to type computer advice here. Whenever I'm on one of the many forums I visit, he tends to say: "But, who are these people! You don't even know them!" He just doesn't get it.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

Tracy, don't worry too much about that, my wife doesn't really get it either. It blows her mind that this little hobby site has grown so large.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    As a single guy with no kids, no wife, not even a girlfriend, I have a LOT of free time to post. The funny thing is, I'm like a lot of you who grew up without the internet. I was 20 years old before I even knew what the internet was, and the closest thing to "reality TV" was "The Real World" on MTV. Anyway, I was a chataholic for a long time, I'll admit. When I first discovered the wide world of the Internet, I would spend every available hour online. I'd even have marathon 12-14 hour sessions of doing nothing but chatting and surfing. Since I was in college at the time and class was (mostly) optional, needless to say I didn't go to class much.

As time went by and the fascination wore off, I chatted less often. Now I'm hardly on at home anymore (except weekends). Most of my internet time now is while I'm at work. But I only have a few friends offline now. By far, the majority of people I talk to are online. My parents of course don't get the fascination with that. But it's perfect for lazy dorks like me with not many social skills. Instant messengers are a Godsend...

And now I wonder why I have no wife/girlfriend...
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

I have a soon to be 2 year old and a 3 month old and when the 2 year old is up I play as much as possible with her and I come on when she naps or is watching Sesame Street.

When I am here 2 things are guaranteed

1) the kids are asleep

2) its after 8pm

I have a licensed home daycare. I have 5 children under the age of 5 in my care from 7am to 5pm.. I don't have time to post if they are awake. My own 3 1/2 yr old daughter goes to bed at 8pm.. You've heard of Miller Time?? 8pm is Sanity Time lol. I love my reality tv.. my daughter is in bed so she hasn't seen any of it, and she's too young to care. Reality Tv is an interest I share with my husband, as well as surfing and chatting.. well posting now. Like Yellow Apple I used to be an avid chatter, I found the people to be offensive and the expectation of 'cyber sex' to be rampant, so I decided to just avoid the situation instead of ripping the offenders a new asshole LOL. As I have said in many of the other forums, I'm so happy to have found like-minded, well-rounded, witty and thoughtful people.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I have a lot of downtime at work, (cause I'm so efficient) so I spend a lot of time at the FORT while I'm at work. The other time is usually when my boyfriend is studying or occupied with other things. I don't have kids, so I'm not as busy as many of you.

My boyfriend knows that I'm a slave to Big Brother, Survivor, Paradise Hotel and a bunch of other shows. He kids with me and asks me which one is on tonight. He'll watch with me if he has the time, despite his protests that he hates all those shows. (He does like Survivor and really liked TAR).

I don't let it interfere with my life and I think most people are balanced enough to not let it.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Modesty - I tape almost anything I want to watch and save it for after my daughter's bedtime. The one exception to this was this summer, we allowed her to stay up during the Amazing Race because she got a kick out of all the cheering we did. It was fun family viewing.

As for being on FORT - that's more of an addiction than actually watching TV! I usually can poke in a couple of times a day while she's playing, or I have to wait until late at night.

I don't like her to see sleazy reality TV, but it would be okay if she wanted to watch Survivor. Frankly, I'm more worried at how she likes to watch the Simpsons with her dad - love the Simpsons, but those Itchy & Scratchy cartoons...
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

The one thing I did notice this summer is that I spent way too much time on the FORT while my kids were watching tv=double negative,now they are in school and sometimes we run late because I'm on the FORT=BAD FATHER,So I decided that I'm going to do something unheard of and spend more quality time with them when they are here and more time on the FORT when they are not

I don't HAVE an addiction.... Really I don't.... You hear me? I don't.... don't...

"The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Are we talking about Reality TV or the FORT? I'm definitely addicted to the FORT but not necessarily the shows.
    I have a laptop with a wireless card, so I have the luxury of being able to take it anywhere in the house. I do some data processing for my husband's company at home so I am online all the time anyway. I keep this open in one window and my work open in the other. I dont have deadlines or anything, so I can put it down to read a book to my little girl or fix us lunch. I am very lucky that my addiction is easily incorporated into my life without causing any major changes.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast