+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cellular Plans

Cellular Plans

So I'm getting a new cell phone sometime in the next few days. I've gone online and read all of the comparison reviews, and, frankly, they aren't too helpful. It seems like for every plan out there, all I'm finding is negativity. I think people mostly write reviews when they're angry and want to vent, so I'm getting a skewed perspective. For those of you who have cell phones, do any of you LOVE your service? Would you recommend it? Has the customer service department been helpful? Have you not had any problems with dropped calls? If so, who are you using?

And conversely, have any of you had any absolute horror stories? I guess I'm more open to hearing complaints from a group of people whose opinions I've come to respect than a bunch of disgruntled strangers.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I didn't see a thread about this already, but if one exists, feel free to delete me.

I don't know if you respect my opinion aj, but I'll give it to you anyway

I had Sprint for a while. Sucks. That's all I can say. You can only use their digital service and any time you use their analog service you get charged. Now for me this was horrible because I couldn't use my cell phone in most places in Boston, including my HOME! When we called to discontinue service and told them we couldn't use it even in our home, they said "well can't you just go outside and use it?" Umm hello? I want to use the phone whereever I want. Yucky. Just say no to Spring.

I'm on AT&T right now, and all's well. No complaints, great service. I haven't even had to call their customer service either. The only bad part is that I don't get service in NH at my parents house, but I think that's because my parents live in some backwoods area!

Good luck. Make sure whatever you choose, that you can get a signal in the majority of areas you visit, especially your home.
    Who shot who in the what now?

I'm interested in this thread - I am on Cingular now.

The actual service is pretty good, which is important to me because I travel often. I never have any trouble making/receiving calls when I am out of town.

I'd rate the value as "medium". Compared to other companies (like Sprint and AT&T) the rates are bit higher. You have to pay extra for national service which is just a given with Sprint.

But my biggest complaint with Cingular is their customer service. Every time I have to call in, I get frustrated enough to start looking at other companies.

Greenflute, interesting perspective on Sprint. I have some co-workers who use it, and say it works well for them (and they have groovy tekkie phones).

I've been considering changing to sprint - and would if it didn't mean an investment in new phones - so I'm interested to hear more opinions. I'll have to look at ATT again ...

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I've had Sprint PCS for about 3 years now and it's worked out fine for me.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I guess it's just here in Boston then. Sorry to all Sprint users!
    Who shot who in the what now?

I've used Alltel (which used to be Cellular One) for many years and have always been pretty happy with them. I pay $30/month for 300 any time minutes, free long distance and unlimited nights and weekends. I'm on a "Local Freedom" plan which means my home area is all of NM, AZ and a little bit of Colorado and Texas. They also have plans that make the whole US your home area.

I hear good things about Verizon, and Spring (here at least).

I've also heard nightmarish stories about Voicescream, which is now T-Mobile.

I use Verizon, because it has the best coverage in this area, and pretty good coverage in most of the places I travel to.

I've got a 3-year-old phone, which needs updating, and I'm on the $30/month plan which gets me 150 anytime national minutes. Plenty for what I use. My only complaint is that I have to pay 15 cents any time someone gets my voicemail box, whether they leave one or not. So basically, every time my phone rings and I'm not there to answer it, I get charged.

I've never had problems with dropped calls or bad connections, and when I cancelled my wife's phone 3 months early, they waived the early-cancellation fee.

I've also used Nextel, at my old job, and I hate hate hate it. My dad and dad-in-law both swear by it, though. They keep wanting me to get one so they can use the walkie-talkie thing. That's what I hate about those phones the most. With a phone, you can ignore the ring. With the walkie talkie, you're standing in line at the grocery store, and someone's going "John, you there? Pick up. John? John?" in your phone. Annoying as hell.

I'm on US Cellular and for what I do with it, it's been great - I have 1100 minutes calling anywhere in the US as long as I call from my area code and free nights and weekends and it $50 a month which includes the taxes and everything.

One thing I would suggest . . . I've used a Nokia phone and now a Motorola. Now maybe I just had a bad Nokia but the Motorola is far superior. very clear - I'd definitely recommend it.

FORT Fogey
    I am on cingular but I think it depends on the area,, however I have used my service all over the country and it has always been great and my bf had alltell and it sucked!
    I agree on the motorola Kelly

we had cingular for about a week and I hated it.

My hubby got Nextel in February. He likes it OK.

We decided that it would be better for me to have one, than to have to keep sharing his, but knew that I really would hardly ever use it. More of an emergency thing.

I went to 7-11 and bought a prepaid VirginMobile phone.

Free text messages, 2 games, lots of little extras. You can buy cards at 7-11 to "top up" your money, and only need to do so once every 3 months to keep your number. Cards are as low as 20 bucks and I think as high as 50.

The calls are EXPENSIVE IF you plan on really using it. Everyday starts a new day where the first 10 minutes of use is 25 cents a minute, then after that it's 10 cents a minute. I've only gotten to the 10 a minute deal once and that was Saturday when my family was going to a wedding, and no-one knew where it was... lots of calls back and forth.

I actually spend less money monthly than my husband, but if I used mine as much as he uses his, I'd be spending a lot more. Hubby's plane (with taxes etc $64/mo... mine less than 20.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast