+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cellular Plans

my wife has a cell phone, and I don't. I have never really needed one either since we are together alot, but there have been times I would have liked one. If there was a plan for using about 60 minutes a month for about 10 bucks I would get one to call radio stations when I am listening to talk shows
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

For a long time, I was on Verizon's now non-existent $9.99 for life plan. You paid for all your minutes, but it was only $10/month for basic service. A good way to have a cheap cellphone.

Everyone in my family has had cell phones since the dark ages and we've used every cellular company out there.

One of my brothers made the mistake of signing up with Nextel a couple months ago. He absolutely detests it so he just leaves that cell in his bedroom and uses another one that he's signed up with (I think) Sprint for. No complaints about that so far Everyone in my family who's used Nextel hates it. So I wouldn't recommend that one.

I've personally used only 3 of the companies - Verizon, AT&T, and Cingular. In my area, they all work extremely well because I'm Los Angeles and it's pretty much covered all over this place. And so is the rest of California where I travel to a lot. I have no complaints about any of these 3 companies but dad had some trouble with AT&T a little while back. So the only two companies everyone in my family agrees on are Verizon and Cingular.

My favorite's been Cingular (which I have as of right now) only because if I don't use my zillion minutes per month in a particular month, it "rolls over" to the next month. This "rolling over" goes on for a year. Then at the end of one year, if you haven't used your zillion minutes that have "rolled over" month after month, they all get erased. I have my months where I talk a lot and those extra "rolled over" minutes are really useful. Coverage wise, I've been around the US with it and about 95% of the time my calls get through without any trouble.
    *Lacey

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    My wife and I both have had Sprint PCS service for the past 3 years... no complaints, other then my office is in a brick bldg and i get a weak signal... but we have a pretty good rate- $39- 750 anytime minutes, unlimited night (after 8p) and weekends! we threatened to cancel and they gave us this rate...

i think it all depends on the national coverage- Sprint works fine in florida, not so great in upstate NY (where Mrs. Quinn is right now)

I just wanted to thank all of you who've responded thus far. You've all been extremely helpful, and I really appreciate the input.

I'm probably not going to get one until Thursday or so, so if anyone on the night shift has any thoughts, please keep 'em coming!

FORT Fogey
    I'm with Cingular Wireless and have been with them since 1998 (back when they were Cellular One) and have had nothing but good experiences with them, and with the place I get my phones/contracts through (North Shore Mobile Werks in Evanston). Actually, that's not far from where you work - It's on the intersection of Ridge and Green Bay Road where they merge (near Emerson). ANyway, I think the price is extremely reasonable, the service is great, and my reception has been really good. My lease ends on September 1st, though, so I'm leaving Chicago (well, I live in Evanston, actually) and moving, so hopefully the service is as good in Philadelphia...

I guess it's just here in Boston then. Sorry to all Sprint users
    I use my Sprint phone all over Eastern MA and Southern NH without too much problem... When did you have yours?

I also had a Verizon cell at Work and that was great! We have Cingular now and I hate it... Mostly because at work they give us these cheap ass phones to use...

I'm not a huge phone user, but I have a plan for 300 anytime minutes for $30.00 a month with unlimited nights and weekends. I've cancelled the long distance on my home phone and use the cell exclusively for all of my long distance. I've NEVER gone over the 300 minutes...

I've considered cancelling my home phone all together, but keep it for emergencies and telemarketers... And any local calls I make, which really isn't that many...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

I'm reviving this thread because my beloved Alltel has TURNED OFF THE TOWER IN MY TOWN! I can still get service in ABQ where I work, but not within about 10 miles of my house.

I tried to go with Sprint, but in the two days that I was trying to get set up with them they screwed up SO many times and were SO rude that I cancelled and ran for my life.

I hear good things about Verizon, but they are the most expensive in my area.

T-Mobile has the best deal right now, but I have heard bad stories about them in the past.

Any input?

I've been with Verizon for about 5 years, and like their coverage. They've also been good when I have to call or stop in to take care of something (which is rarely). But they are expensive.

I have many contacts throughout the cellular industry. They all say the same thing. If you want coverage go for Verizon, it is more expensive, but your phone will work more places, and you will get fewer droped calls. Sprint or TMobile have better deals but not very good coverage, but better plans and prices.
    What happened was in many urban areas there used to be only 2 carriers. Those carriers built all the Cell sites, and they are probably the company that has the best coverage in your area. Verizon and AT&T are normally good because they grew by buying out a lot of other companies so they inherited most of those original Cell sites. Johny-Come-Latelys like Sprint and TMobile have had to build thier own and zoning has become very strict over the last 5 years. Finding out who has been around the longest is sometimes hard because of the mergers. One of my friends has worked for 5 companies and never changed desks.
    The best idea is to talk to the people who live near you. Someone in New York, or California telling you they get good coverage with thier company means nothing if you live in Texas.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast