+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My best response!

One of my favorites happened during my first post-college job. I was working in an infectious diseases lab for this MD/PhD who was every bit the mad scientist - brilliant as hell, but no social skills whatsoever. He just couldn't deal with people at all. I should have been wary when, during my first week, I had the department head (with whom my boss had clashed on many occasions) say to me "If he gives you a hard time, you just let me know. I'll deal with him."

So the one day, I made a mistake. I forgot to carry a one, or my decimal place was off in my calculation, or something. I don't remember. But I ended up using a lot more of a particular enzyme than I should have used. (By "a lot" I mean a microliter instead of a picometer, but enough to blow the entire experiment to hell and back) It was my mistake, and I owned up to it. I was completely willing to be chastised, and I sat there for a while listening to him berate me. But he just WOULD. NOT. STOP. Finally I stopped him in mid-sentence and said "John, enough. If you'd stop yelling for a minute, I'd have the time to go build the time machine that you're obviously expecting me to create, so I can go back and change the past. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a space-time continuum to contend with." It was awesome, because he started laughing and I started laughing and our relationship improved SO much from just that one exchange. In fact, the best work references I've ever received have come from him.

that's a great story
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I have problems like this a lot. Usually, I think of stuff to say if I'm expecting some small confrontation. Then, it all just comes out wrong, or I hesitate. Afterwards, I realize all the things I could've said. Some people are so lucky to have all this so easy...

Originally posted by ajg113
    "John, enough. If you'd stop yelling for a minute, I'd have the time to go build the time machine that you're obviously expecting me to create, so I can go back and change the past. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a space-time continuum to contend with." It was awesome, because he started laughing and I started laughing and our relationship improved SO much from just that one exchange. In fact, the best work references I've ever received have come from him.
    Holy crap! This was hilarious!

I am completely stealing this if ever I have the need.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

FORT Fogey
    Oh ajg! That is a good one! Wish I had the reason ( brains) to need to use that one! However I may modify it and save it for later!

Originally posted by Shazzer
    Holy crap! This was hilarious!
    I am completely stealing this if ever I have the need.

I need this right now. I'm behind on my Ph.D. disertation which is common and everyone just can't quit riding my A>>. I really shouldn't be here but if I didn't check in I think I would go nuts.

Thanks ajg

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Ajg, good one!
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12