+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How safe is your neighborhood?

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    I'm glad that my place is fairly safe. I feel so sick and disgusted after reading such awful stories.

However, in the last few weeks, there was cases of bullying in buses by teen delinquents and passer-byers only looked at the incident without offering to help.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

thanks for all your nice comments - my aunt is a toughie

We did have something happen a few years back that sort of stopped crime in the area for a while. There had been some robberies / muggings / purse snatchings - that sort of thing in a bad part of town. Anyway, this elderly man was walking down the road when a 16 year old came up, pulled out a knife and asked him for his wallet. the elderly man instead pulled out a gun and shot him. He wasn't charged with anything and the muggins/robberies,etc. ceased. They didn't think this one kid was responsible for everything but that the others doing the crimes were afraid the same thing would happen to them.

Originally posted by fluff
    What a horrible thing to happen to your aunt KKelly, just awful.

There was recently a young child killed not too far from where I live.
    I'm from the city in the UK (Liverpool) where the two ten year old boys kidnapped and killed little Jamie Bulger a few years back.

I can't even think about that case without tearing up.
    I remember that! The video that they always showed of the two boys taking little James Bulger to his death is just chilling.

And KKelly, your aunt seems like such a strong woman. What a horrible thing to have happen.

i was searched once in front of my house... they thought i had illegal drugs with me... police ended up finding only a concealer in my pocket.

oh my neighbor stole my cellphone too.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire. .

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Fortunately, I live in a safe middle-class neighborhood and crime is pretty low, though every now and then there's a robbery or shooting/stabbing. Just last year some kid at the local high school stabbed another kid in a fight.

Now the nearby city of course has the typical gang and drug violence. I went to the local university which was downtown and took some night classes, so sometimes I had to walk to my car at night after class. I was always nervous and walked as fast as possible since there were some robberies and carjackings on campus.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Yellow Apple, is it legal to carry mace/pepper spray where you are?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastBoyScout
    i was searched once in front of my house... they thought i had illegal drugs with me... police ended up finding only a concealer in my pocket.
    oh my neighbor stole my cellphone too.
    Usually when someone is a drug dealer, he/she would also carry a weapon. For them to search you for drugs or a weapon and only find a harmless concealer is funny to me.

What ever happened with your neighbor who stole your cell phone? Now, that can be dangerous. Seriously. It was about 4 years ago when a man was shot several times and died because the police thought he was getting a gun and it turned out only to be his cell phone!

FORT Fogey
    My neighborhood is really safe. In the police reports in the paper, they are things like "A girl and her mother got in a fight and the mother ended up with a scratch" and the police men have resorted to spending their time busting my brother for hanging out at the high school at night. So I'd say we're pretty safe here!

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    It's banned to have pepper spray where I'm from.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

I think the main rules of thumb are to be smart and to be always aware of your surroundings. I currently (temporarily?) live in WI, and I have never lived in a safer place. But things do happen, particularly break-ins and burgluries. The two places I lived before this were Champaign-Urbana IL (U of I) for 7 years and St. Louis for 2. I had a tire slashed and some money stolen in C-U but that was about it. Just locking your doors and watching those around you helped, and I would never walk at night where there weren't streetlights. I lived in the Central West End of St. Louis, which was a very nice neighborhood and safe for St. Louis, but still a lot happened. Police killed one person and there were two other murders within 1000 ft. My car was also broken into. I can get too confrontational with people sometimes, which is asking for trouble, but I've lived in cities most of my life and looking like you know what you are doing can help.
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast