+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How safe is your neighborhood?

I think we have the monopoly of drive-bys

and thank you Julie - it's unbelievable to me that anyone would want to hurt someone else but especially children and old people.

thank you again - I don't think ours works like that now. It used to be more lenient but they're getting tougher.

FORT Fogey
    These acts, especially involving children and senior citizens, are so sad and disgusting. However, I think it's necessary to keep in perspective that these acts are actually quite rare occurrences, and chances are you'll be safe as long as you're careful and act smart. It is very sad to read about these cases, though.

KKelly- I haven't heard that. I think it all depends on the crime like anywhere else.

And for the record, there is no way Paul Bernardo is ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever getting out. No. Way.

Karla Homolka, thanks to her sweet deal, will be out, and in a matter of years. 2012 at the latest.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

I think the worst crime we've had recently in NM was some gang members who went to a guy's cabin in the mountains where he was staying with his girlfriend and their two toddlers. After partying with the couple for a few days, the guys killed the mom and dad, then left the toddlers in the locked cabin with their parent's bodies. Needless to say, they starved to death over a long, hot period of time.

My own neighborhood is pretty peaceful, but this story has haunted me since it happened a couple of years ago.

Oh, and the killers got off on some technicality I believe.

What a horrible thing to happen to your aunt KKelly, just awful.

There was recently a young child killed not too far from where I live.
    I'm from the city in the UK (Liverpool) where the two ten year old boys kidnapped and killed little Jamie Bulger a few years back.

I can't even think about that case without tearing up.
    "That's Numberwang!"

KKelly, so glad to hear your aunt is OK now. It's really just inconceivable to me that things like this can happen. Really chilling.

Interesting timing for this thread--neighborhood safety has been on my mind a lot lately!

Normally I live in a very suburban area where not much happens. A few burglaries, a few car jackings, an occasional sicko flasher. . .these are pretty uncommon, and are big news when they happen. I live a few miles from the "city," where there are occasional shootings, stabbings, what have you, but it seems so unreal to me--so separate somehow. I'm lucky. The most newsworthy thing that happened in my area is the Laurie Show (sp?) murder committed by [or allegedly committed ] Lisa Michelle Lambert many years ago. Some of you may have seen some of the many court appeals in the news.

This past week, however, I have been living in Baltimore while I attend grad. school. Before coming, I thought it would be a pretty safe area. Last Monday, 9 cars in my dorm parking lot had their tires slashed. Next, we were informed that for the past two weekends, people have been beaten up in broad daylight by a group of "kids." My friends and I found this out AFTER we had been walking in the very areas where the crimes were committed. While this is fairly uncommon (as we are told), apparently it is never safe to walk alone to several key locations on and around campus. Across the street from our studio building is a motel with a pretty big prostitution ring, with drug deals taking place in front. Almost every night, we hear gunshots ring out. It has become a game to count the number of times the police helicopter flies overhead. Needless to say, I have taken to carrying pepper spray on my keychain. . . . Don't tell my mom!

KKelly, bad beginning, but a good ending due to your involvement. Thank God she will be okay. No mercy for the kid. About 3 years ago, some friends used to live about 5 minutes away from me. One worked at night and called me at work for more information. He told me that helicopters were circling closely over the area where he lived. At night on the news, it was reported that the seriel killer was caught. Kendell Francois had killed and buried 8 women under his porch (some were still missing He got life without the chance of parole). I heard that he was even larger than he appeared to be on TV. My friend is no whimp, but he told me that he would have to shoot him in order to take him down. It was 4 days before the arrest that I was on the next street leaving my friends house late at night to go home. You just never know.

Other than those gruesome crimes in what they tagged "the house of horrors", I was amazed that I never heard it reported that Vassar College was walking distance from that house.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Awful stories. Lock up the crooks behind them and throw away the key.

As for me, it's not exactly a safe area either. This is a fairly middle-class (by local standards) area, with relatively low crime. The problem is getting here. From here, to my college, it's not a short commute (45 minutes under favorable conditions, 1+ hour if you're unlucky). Unfortunately, that commute is not the safest, especially at night. Some drivers have ended up dead after resisting a robbery.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast