+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What are you afraid of?

I never had a fear of throwing up until I was pregnant with my son. It is not so much that I had morning sickness. I was really blessed to not have tossed cookies too much during my pregnancies. I developed a really intense and sensitive gag reflex that even bothered me when I brushed my teeth. My son is now five and the gag reflex is slowly going back to normal. I visited the dentist for the first time in over five years because I had to have a crown replaced. It was on the upper, right, rear molar and I was really nervous. I did really well and no one got hurt. I have to go back to have my teeth cleaned at the end of July and feel much better about it now.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I just thougth I'd share that the fear of vomiting is called "Emetophobia". One of my co-workers stumbled across a website - http://www.phobialist.com/ It is actually kind of interesting. Who knew there were so many defined phobias?

Oh, and for you, fluff and MollyRose -Coulrophobia (fear of clowns).

edited to add: you can sort the list alphabetically by the item you are afraid of, or by the name of the phobia. (try the indexed list)
    Last edited by oneTVslave; 06-30-2003 at 06:44 PM.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    I'm afraid of high places, but it's not being high it's looking down. I'm ok as long as I don't have to look down. Where this one came from I have no idea, but the most embarassing thing that happened because of it was when my senior class went to New York and I looked down from the Statue of Liberty and immediately passed out. When I came to people were just walking around me and shaking their heads. I was mortified. I hate it too when you get up into some scenic tower and you can feel the whole thing sway in the wind. Everyone tells me I'm nuts and you can't feel the sway, but I definately do and I usually take a quick look and head back to solid ground. Just thinking about it is making me queasy right now!
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Thanks, oneTVslave, for the link.

Some of the fears I found very intriguing:

Fear of looking up
    Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of one's mouth ()
    Fear of flutes (not good for anyone who likes me )
    Fear of gaiety (what a sad life)
    Fear of justice

Very interesting.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Some of them are totally absurd...we looked at this list for hours one day...

Fear of knees
    Fear of the number eight
    Fear of Englishness
    Fear of mushrooms
    Fear of mother-in-law

yes, there are actual words for these things!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I can't really think of anything that really freaks me out. I suppose I'd be afraid of having a bunch of tarantulas or snakes crawl over me, but frankly, if that doesn't creep you out, there's something wrong with you!

FORT Fogey
    GF i think my ex has the fear of justice phobia,, as he keeps getting slapped with it!

Doh! firegirl!
    Who shot who in the what now?

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    ok, got to admit it, spiders get to me, cause I was bit by a centepide as a real little kid, most creepy crawler make me nervouse. plus needles, I can't stand them not even to watch on t.v.

heights aren't fun either, plus tight places, and being buried alive...yuck!

I'm not so sure if I'm actually afraid of them, or just grossed out by them...but roaches EWWWWWWWWW!!! It comes from the house I lived in as a kid that wasn't exactly the nicest place in the world and we were pretty infested with roaches, the big flying ones down to the nasty little german ones. I saw something on tv once about a roach getting stuck in some guys ear and it had me totally freaked out for the longest time after that so that I'd sleep completely under covers from head to toe every night afraid that would happen to me. I remember all too vividly hearing them fly around at night and land on the covers, as well as every morning when I'd turn on the lights seeing them scatter all over the place. *Shiver* just thinking about that!!! Thank goodness we didn't live there for very long!!

+ Reply to Thread