+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wish me luck please

Have fun, Junkie. I'm a WWII buff myself, albeit a minor star in that particular constellation. Sounds like a great trip.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Have a great time, TVJ! Be sure and tell us all about it when you get back.

Wow TVJ, sounds like an awesome trip! Have fun, and best of luck!!!!!!!!

Have a great time!
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

agentcarver
    Ah, the scouts....

Now, stop playing with your computer and GO OUT THERE AND SURVIVE! Be sure to tell us if you don't... ;-)

TVJ, I am sure you will have a blast, and although you don't need our luck, you did ask, so I will wish you some anyway
    GOOD LUCK

You will all have an awesome time
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

It will be fun to spend the night!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

The kids had a great time.I will bet we walked a total of 30 miles in the last 2 days touring the Yorktown,Laffley,Clagmore and the Vietnam Firebase they had set up on the shore.You never get to appreciate the size of these ships till you have walked up 10 levels of stairs to get to the flight deck.

The Yorktown serves as a historical museum for all the carriers,submarines and destroyers from the first ever built to the newest.There is a room set up on the ship with a model and artifacts from every ship in their class ever built.There is a wall with pictures and decorations earned for every carrier ever built and the casuality lists honoring ever sailor who ever died on a ship.

It is also the home of the CMH museum with a Vietnam Memorial style wall with the names engraved of every recipient to ever recieve the award.Unfortunately they scheduled the presentation and ceremony for the CMH repipients for 6 pm on Saturday afternoon.Most of the kids were dead tired from exploring all day and more than a few of them went to sleep in the theatre during the ceremony but i really enjoyed it and afterwards they let us all come forward and talk to the men and we recieved certificates signed by them.

They had one of every aircraft on display that has ever flown off a carrier.From WWI Stearman biplanes to the F/A 18 Hornet flown today.The kids got to ride in a flight simulator for the F/A 18 on a preprogramed strike mission including 4G dogfights with enemy planes.Of course i would be lying if i didn't say the dads were tickled to get to ride on this too.

We slept in the original bunks that the crew used which are stacked 5 high and were very cramped.There is exactly 18 inches of headroom between each bunk so once you got into them you were there to stay in that position.There is not even enough room to even roll over in them.Needless to say with 100 scouts in a 12 by 25 room it was very noisy sleeping conditions.The females that went were quartered in the Officers Quarters so they had real beds and didn't have to share a 6 hole head with 100 other people like we did.

On Saturday morning we took a tour boat over to Ft. Sumter where the first shots were fired in the Civil War.It was very interesting and you could only imagine the hardships the men who served there went through during 4 years of war that were fought there.The only thing left standing of the original fort is the first story ot the outer walls.They were originally 5 stories tall but there were over 50,000 cannon rounds fired on the fort before the Union forces retook it in the last stages of the war.

Well i'm extremely tired from this weekend and i'm about to crash for the night.If anyone wants to know anything else just let me know and i'll be glad to post more about it.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock.

TVJ, can I join your Scout Troop? Geez, that sounds like a TON of fun, for both you and the kids.

Wow...sounds like you all had a great time, TVJ!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast