+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question

Question

I know this is somewhat along the lines of the egg donor questions....but...
    A little back ground (the condensed version)- My cousin had a kidney transplant a few years ago. She was hospitalized on Sunday night in a coma. Her kidney has totally shut down and the doctors are going to remove it. She's awake right now thank goodness but is in need of another kidney. Now, a lot of us in the family got tested and I'm a perfect match for her. Needless to say next Thursday (a week from today) we're doing the surgery. I didn't hesiate to it because she like my sister and I would give her a lung if she needed it but. I know I hesiate on the egg because I would see the child if was in the family but I guess my question is

Does it make a difference what you are donating?
    ~There is no greater gift than the gift of life. Become a donor today!~

I had a friend who about 2 years ago donated a kidney to his brother. I thought it was extremely courageous of him. He took a long time to recover, but he said it was well worth it.

Congratulations, MommaD. You're doing a wonderful thing.

I think to a large degree, yes it does. And especially for that reason you mentioned.

The egg thing would be very difficult for the reason you gave, you'd see him/her being raised, know how integral you could have been in the decisions made for them yet have to stand back in the shadows and watch him/her while repressing the natural feelings one would attribute to motherhood. Very difficult I'm sure.

It's great that you are willing and able to share a kidney...which will save her life.

Good luck with the surgery..I'll keep you in my thoughts!

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Wow, Mommad, that is an amazing and wonderful thing you're doing! Your cousin is very, very lucky to have such a caring cousin as you!

I can totally see your point regarding the kidney vs the egg. I'd also add this; donating a kidney is saving someone's life; there's no alternative for the person. Donating an egg so someone can have a baby? Well, there are a lot of other ways to have a baby, including adopting a child that's not wanted - I think that is a much better alternative.

Good luck, and I'll keep you both in my prayers!

I agree with Wayner.

I also want to send my very best wishes to both you and your cousin.
    The fact that what you are doing is neccessary doesn't make you any less brave for doing it in my opinion.

You'll be in my thoughts.
    "That's Numberwang!"

thanks for the encouragment y'all.
    ~There is no greater gift than the gift of life. Become a donor today!~

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    MommaD, you and your family are in my thoughts.

You are doing a brave, courageous and selfless thing.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I echo everyone's sentiments, MommaD. Helping other people is a noble cause to which many folks only pay lip service. Your selflessness is inspiring.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I have incredbily strong feelings about organ donation. I am so proud of you for doing it! Very brave! Once I am gone, I want all my organs and tissues to be used for whoever needs them. If I can anyway better a life with a body I will no longer be using, then go for it. I donate blood whenever I can. It use to be every 8 weeks, but has been less in the past few years. I encourage anyone who is eligable to donate blood to do so....it saves so many lives.

Iused to donate blood as regularly as they would allow me to in England.
    I'm not allowed to in Canada though due to the CJD and BSE scares. The chances of me having CJD are very slim as I haven't eaten meat for 19 years, but that's the current ruling.

When I'm dead I want anything that can be used to be used.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast