+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hot Child In The City

Hot Child In The City

So it's currently a balmy 104 degrees in my apartment. 93 outside. This is Chicago, so it's not like apartments are standardly equipped with central air. I'm stuck here waiting for a phone technician guy to show up, so I can't even leave to buy one of the room air conditioner thingies. My question for you folks is twofold. A) How does anyone ever live in the south and not melt? B) How do you stay cool when there's no A/C around to do it for you?

I'm writing this with ice cubes down my shirt. No kidding.

Ah, to be an ice cube.

Get AIR! It's the only thing to do.

ajg113,

I feel for you. Down here in Hotlanta, there is air-conditioning pretty much everywhere you go (I realize there are exceptions to this, of course). There is no way I could live here without AC. I guess the best you can do is some fans and as many windows open as possible, to get some kind of cross-breeze going. Or maybe you can wet your hair and leave it wet while you are stuck inside...
    Anyway, good luck with that!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Oh Bless your heart - my AC stays on 74 in the summer

NC summers are brutal and long (like Atlanta, I'm sure). this year, however, this week is our first with temps over 90 - Friday it was actually cloudy and a high in the 70's. Now, let me be negative for a minute and say this is because I bought a swimming pool last year. Most years we have 90's in April but I buy a pool and it's 70 in June. Go figure!!

This is Chicago, so it's not like apartments are standardly equipped with central air.
    That's the trick down here in Florida...unless you are in a really really really old complex they are, and even at that most of the old complexes have been brought to central air but it may cost you a fortune to run.

There is absolutely no way I could live here without my central air!! I do drive a car with no air and that's bad enough, but atleast the sweat factor isn't too horrible until you have to stop in traffic...as long as you are moving and there's a breeze it's tolerable.

oneTVslave had it right tho, open as many windows as possible and hope for a crossbreeze is the best starter. I'd also suggest cool showers and lots of ice water to try and keep your body temp lower. Good luck and I hope you were able to get out and get yourself some a/c!!

Ooooh AJG--I sympathize with you!!

When I lived in chicago, I had a garden level apartment without A/C. Luckily enough, the apartments above me had it, and the cool air sank down to my apartment and cooled it off somewhat. Best thing to do is find a window unit. But I am sure they will be in short supply if it is soooo hot there right now.

All I can suggest is Fans, fans, and fans.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

aj, even I got central air here in Boston. Although when I lived in NH with my parents, we didn't. We sat around with lots of fans or swam in the pool.

I like the ice cube idea. Or stick your underwear in the freezer for a bit and then put it on. Sounds silly but it works!
    Who shot who in the what now?

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions. I'm also happy to report that I no longer need any of them, since, as of ten minutes ago, I've joined the ranks of the sane people of America and bought an A/C.

Of course, this means I'm going to have to move the computer into the living room, but it's a small price to pay.

But getting back to those going-out-with-a-bang ice cubes...
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

...and a fine way to go out it is.

That might have been "R". Sorry.

Actually, I *have* had to utilize the ice cube method again today. Due to a big, boring comedy of errors, I'm sitting here waiting for another phone guy to show up, and the computer still isn't in the living room where the A/C is. I wish I had realized how crappy daytime t.v. is when I picked which room got to be cold.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast