+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Quinn vs. the Gator

I almost stepped on a slug last night, does that count!!!

BLECK!!!!
    "People are strange, when you're a stranger" - Jim Morrison

There were bears in my backyard once. A mother and her two cubs.

And when I lived in Australia there was a nest of frogmouth owls, a bunch of other annoying birds, a frill neck lizard, occasionally some wallabies, and of course my own zoo of cats and dogs. Oh, and frogs and toads. Toads are groooooss. The frogs are kinda cool though.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Originally posted by Paulie
    Alligators always look like statues to me. I'm not sure if I would have been afraid or not. But I probably would've been.
    he sort of looked like a statue- a statue that was very hungry (or frisky)!
    yeah, i used to be obsessed with the Crocodile hunter, and after awhile he makes gators seem as tame as house pets... that is until you are faced with an 8' gator, out in the middle of nowhere... and especially considering the 11' gator that killed the little 12 year old boy last week... not good times...

I killed TWO scorpions in my brother-in-law's house last week!! All by myself!! And I didn't even cry!

FORT Fogey
    We have a bat that drinks from the pool,, be he isn't a pet so thats wild huh?
    We see lots of squished armadillos,possum, and raccoons in the street, not to mention skunks, ground hogs and snakes!

Oh my Quinn, that's scary.

The closest I've ever come to wildlife? Went snorkelling and saw this crazy looking stone-link fish. It's big, somewhat like the scary lightbulb fish in 'finding nemo'.

And I stepped on a snail once. Ew.
    “In Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders don’t vant to be general.” Sasha Pivovarova

When I lived in Cape Canaveral, I was golfing at the Cocoa Beach course and my tee shot off the second hole landed five feet away from a 14 foot gator sunning himself by a pond. I took a 20 foot free drop away from him
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Fade to black
    Originally posted by Ilikai
    When I lived in Cape Canaveral, I was golfing at the Cocoa Beach course and my tee shot off the second hole landed five feet away from a 14 foot gator sunning himself by a pond. I took a 20 foot free drop away from him
    Did you hit it real fast too... JUST IN CASE?

When I lived in Alaska, in a rural area in Wasilla - we'd see bears, moose, all kinds of wildlife walk right through our backyard. You definitely had to keep on your toes when out building a snowman.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

I attended high school in Homer, Alaska, and, yeah, you had to watch out. The moose were scary. You could hear them in the dark on your way to the bus stop. You just hoped you weren't splitting up a mama and her babies when you walked by.

As for alligators, they have an alligator farm in southern Colorado that we visited once. I guess I was expecting a writhing ball of jaw-snapping, angry gators. What we saw was what looked like an out-of-use sawmill with logs laying haphazardly all over the place. Every once in a long while, one of the logs would shuffle a few feet and re-settle. Very disappointing. However, if there had been no fences between us and them, I'd have been very relieved at their inactivity.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I love your story Quinn.

I've had a bear in the yard... I was a dork and only took one picture, then my daughter opened the back on the camera...arrrgggg. I thought it was a cub as I picture ALL bears as Grizzly's. This was a black bear though, and they are quite a bit smaller. s/he was adorable (while we were in the house), but I was paranoid about letting the kids go to the creek for a while.

There was an owl (Eastern screech owl) in our woodstove one summer.

A bat both living in the addition before it was finished, and one that hung out by the pool one day. I like bats, they help control the mosquitos.

A copperhead sleeping on the airfilter of my car. Luckily my husband was going to change the oil, so he wasn't hurt. We (we=my husband) took him to the woods .

There was also a copperhead trapped in our cistern that we had to save.

Then there was the black snake that honest to goodness dropped from my bedroom ceiling. I made my then 9 year old son catch him while I hid behind my then 5 year old daughter. Shame on me.

There was also the black snake on the door to my deck. I have an awesome picture of that SOMEWHERE. He was really cool.

We see deer, rabbits, box turtles, turkey vultures, and hawks pretty much on a daily basis.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast