+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How did you first end up at the FORT?

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonna;2190661;
    Ohhhh.....I am laughing so hard......I think you are right. It was a miracle I stayed on with the FORT.....especially since I would get at least one PM from a Mod a day giving me instructions.... ...you could say they were giving me personal training....

Since I have an Interior Design degree (80's) I was excitedly anticipating that show......the judges? They called themselves judges? They had no interior design experience or even concept what so ever.......and the "party judge"..she really was pathetically tasteless.

For their decorating projects, they had to go to Sears......at least they should have gone to Kmart and had something decent to choose from........Oh the camping project and the outhouse............as crazy as the show was, I still enjoyed it.

BTW.......Martha's Apprentice wasn't much better.....
    Oh, it was pathetic wasn't it? So funny and of course, not meant to be.

Lois, it was about 2 groups of people competing to be the next Martha Stewart. They were going to get a tv show, 6 spots on GMA and a book deal if they won. They had to cook, decorate, make crafts, etc., all around a theme and then do individual projects. The woman that won couldn't have decorated her way out of a paper bag. And of course, we have heard NOTHING from her since, so you can tell the show was tres' popular.

And like Vonna mentioned, they had to decorate a campsite down to the outhouse! I thought I would need the outhouse I laughed so darn hard!

It is funny what shows all brought us to this spot.

And Candace Bushnell, what an evil, clueless, arrogant witch!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    I remember the board I was on suddenly vanished in the the netherworld of cyberspace and I was left without any place to laugh about the silly things people do on Survivor. I wandered around lost for about a week before I found a home where they take me the way I am and let me lurk, or not, all I want. I don't say much, especially if I agree with most of what's already been said, but still it's nice to know I'm not the lone duck on my opinions.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

I remember I was heavily medicated and had insomnia and in the darkness of the wee hours and amidst the haze in my little mind, my computer started glowing in the corner of the room so I decided to check it out. It guided me over to the Lost thread but I got Lost so found Fun and Games and hung out there for quite a while before venturing out any further. It's a jungle out there in reality tv land. Keep your rations and supplies close, don't go out alone, and wear a thick skin for protection.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

But it's always safe in here, isn't it MissKitty? If I had been treated half as badly as the newbies on other boards, I'd have folded up my cricket wings and gone chirping in a corner somewhere. Fort has the nicest, smartest, most welcoming and respectful people on the web.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I want to hear how JOHN came about starting this place...
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I Is Stephanie
    I second that gabriel! We've all shared our experiences, now how about you John?
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

I read through the whole thread and I am surprised at how many people got here because they "did a search for AI2 and found Lobeck's recap." That was how I first found the FoRT, too. I lurked at work, mostly reading the recaps and some of the contestant threads.

Now the confession: I probably lurked here longer than anybody before I actually joined. From AI 2 to Paradise Hotel to Joe Schmoe. Yeah I was here for them all. I didn't join because I couldn't post from work, but I started looking around. Then, I found the General Discussion thread and "got to know" many of you. I was always impressed by the amount of caring and genuine concern the posters showed for eachother, true cyber-friendships. I finally joined when I was able to get a decent computer and hi-speed internet at home.

I still lurk more than I post, but that's just me.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by anemone;2190808;
    I was always impressed by the amount of caring and genuine concern the posters showed for eachother, true cyber-friendships. .
    Me too. There are people on here that I may never meet face to face that have touched my life more than some of my own family and face to face friends.

I have never met a more caring group of people as a whole and I've always said that people that have animals and care about their animals are definetly "good" people and so many of you have such cute and loveable fur families and talk about them with such love, that I know you have to be good people. And those of you without animals are also extremely loyal and caring, supportive and encouraging. I have made many cyber friends here and have worried about you, laughed with you, cried with you and feel close to you.

Ok, now someone hand me a kleenex, this is getting mushy. But you all know it. THis forum has attracted a bunch of people that are genuine in their care, concern and friendship.

And people say reality tv is such trash! Nonsense. It brought all of us together!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've never posted in this thread? Maybe it was a similar one or something, because I'm having some major deja vous here. I'm one of the early members (despite my extremely low number of posts) that came over from another board around the time of Combat Missions. I'd been talking with a couple of folks over there and they'd migrated to here so I just followed along. It's been interesting to watch the board grow over the years, that's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2190804;
    I want to hear how JOHN came about starting this place...
    I knew the answer had been posted before, it just took me a while to find it. From a post in a thread titled Our One Millionth Post. The post was made by eny who was a mod at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by eny;1000818;
    Fort was born around September 16 , 2002 . We actually started a few days before that but I think that was the day John lit the torch and made us live to the net. The mods were all pretty much modded at once , (with the notable exception of 2)and were the only "original members". We found one of those 2 others on a golf course, and the other served us up spiked drinks til we let them join.

For the first while, we kind of chased each other around around. Then 25,000 or so others showed up, so we didn't have to entertain ourselves as much anymore. I think we determined a while ago that our lovely Cali started the first thread, but the first posts were likely Johns.

Our oldest mod is fourty-something , and the youngest is 25. For location , we are spread out around the US and Can and one in Oz.

As for the writers, non of them will cop to being the oldest , but the youngest is 18. They were all chosen for their exceptional posting skills. We figured that would translate to good writing , and we weren't wrong. They rock.

I think I've seen members as young as 13 which is why we keep a PG thirteen board. Oldest - well I do know of a couple in their 60's . I'm not going to "out" them , but if someone wants to brag - I'm not stopping them.

As for a million posts I hope at least some of them were worth reading.

Note : LG and I joined the exact same minute, and one of my fond memories was running screaming through the empty Fort halls with her.

+ Reply to Thread