+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Tattoos and Piercings?

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Originally posted by ajg113
    *Looks over shoulder at tattoo and feels ashamed*

Actually, while I can't legitimately claim any sort of connection to the Chinese language (other than the fairly lame "I think it's pretty"), the word "Joy" that I got was my grandmother's name, is my middle name, and, let's face it, is just a pretty cool concept.

But outside of that, yeah, I guess I'm too trendy. Eh, such is life. There are worse things.
    you should get a tattoo for yourself, not for anyone else and to hell with what others think. You do it to please yourself and only that. these can be removed, but it's alot more trouble to do that than it is to get one. just be sure YOU WANT IT FOR LIFE!!!

Well, I think it was a pretty glib remark to make - "fad tattoos", and a little rude. But, anyone who dares to get a permanent mark on their body of any kind has my respect for daring to do it.

Whatever you get, I hope it's deeply meaningful to you, for years to come. Regardless of what other people think.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    John, I had thought about mine for ten years or more, when the guy sketched it on my arm he said" see if thats what you want for the rest of your life", he was also president of the tattoo artist of fla. Just plain bud. and he wouldn't touch you if you were drunk or stoned or even smelled alchohol on your breath, his shop was on the main drag in orlando, where alot of the topless bars were.

as far as the "fad" remark goes... (see Cali, I do it too) Most flash that you find in one shop, you can find in any shop. That doesn't make it a fad. It's just popular. But ajg, your's means something special to you so I wouldn't call it a fad tat even though its a chinese symbol. Thats just the medium that you used. Hold your head up proud and enjoy that tat!!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

FORT Fogey
    I'm sorry for offending anyone. I think I didn't state myself properly. I just don't like it when people who get tattoos just to get one or because other people are doing it and those are generally the people who reject it later. And it sounds like yours has meaning to you ajg. I just meant that if you want a tattoo that you will always be comfortable with, make sure you get one that has some personal meaning to you (and get it in a place that won't stretch... ).

And just so you know, ajg, that remark wasn't directed at you (you know I like you). I just meant that you need to find something meaningful to you that you will be happy with even when you're 60.

Originally posted by greenflute98
    Wow, Shazzer, that's kind of crazy. I'm not sure I've met any other musicians who like kokopellis. All the other kokopellis I have are ones people have given to me as gifts. You're friend sounds pretty cool, though.
    She does rock, as do her band mates. Of course, I think a lot of band majors are cool.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Originally posted by AnnaRHR
    I'm sorry for offending anyone. I think I didn't state myself properly. I just don't like it when people who get tattoos just to get one or because other people are doing it and those are generally the people who reject it later. And it sounds like yours has meaning to you ajg. I just meant that if you want a tattoo that you will always be comfortable with, make sure you get one that has some personal meaning to you (and get it in a place that won't stretch... ).

And just so you know, ajg, that remark wasn't directed at you (you know I like you). I just meant that you need to find something meaningful to you that you will be happy with even when you're 60.
    Awww, I'm sorry Anna. I should learn to better use the smileys to convey my meaning. I was kidding. I need a disclaimer for my sig, methinks. Honestly, I so rarely get offended. Beyond rarely. Basically never. You'd probably have to set fire to my house before I'd be like "You know, that Anna has some issues."

The funny thing is that, while I know you weren't being bitchy about the trendy tats, I've seen other people (not here, of course) who get *furious* about it. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I was trying to find the Sanskrit translation for serendipity, because that's what I want my next one to be. I did a search for it, and had no luck. I decided to check out some of the usenet body modification groups, hoping that I'd find a good translation link. Now THOSE folks - or at least some of them - they have problems. I never posted there, but reading some of their responses to others who had asked questions was just...well, kind of frightening, really. They would rip some of these poor people to shreds for asking about different tribal symbols or whatever. If you weren't armed with a fully defendable dissertation on why you wanted exactly what you wanted, you might as well just pack it in. Their entire essence of being was wrapped up in their body mods. That's fine, as far as it goes, but I'm more of the mind that - as joeguy and Ilikai said - as long as you like it, screw everyone else.

As far as people not getting something because they might not like it when they're 60, I understand that. On the other hand, I'd rather live for the life I have now, if that makes any sense. Sure, I might wake up one morning in 2034 and hate it. But there were a bunch of mornings in 2003 where I woke up and loved it. And really, who's to say I'll still be around at 60 to have a feeling either way about it?

Edited because I'm a psychopath who can't stand typos
    Last edited by Amanda; 06-30-2003 at 08:11 AM.

Originally posted by ajg113

As far as people not getting something because they might not like it when they're 60, I understand that. On the other hand, I'd rather live for the life I have now, if that makes any sense. Sure, I might wake up one morning in 2034 and hate it. But there were a bunch of mornings in 2003 where I woke up and loved it. And really, who's to say I'll still be around at 60 to have a feeling either way about it?

Edited because I'm a psychopath who can't stand typos

There will probably be many other things about my body that I'll be concerned about in 2034. I'm sure my tattoo on my lower back will be towards the bottom of that list.
    Who shot who in the what now?

ajg, believe it or not, I did some searching for you the first time you requested the Sanskrit symbol for Serendipity, and while I didn't find that, I did find some interesting stuff.

The word "serendipity" is a bastardization of the Sanskrit word "Sinhaladvipa", which means "Isle of Silk". The word first came into common recent usage from a fairy tale named "The Three Princesses of Serendip". Serendip being Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon.

The Arabs, though (sanskrit writers), are generally thought to have already bastardized the Tamil word "Cherantivu" and turned it into "Serendip".

I hope that helps in your quest. But maybe you knew all that already.

Wow John, thank you! That's all really interesting, and I actually didn't know any of it.

Hopefully that will bring me a little bit closer to figuring the translation out.

Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread