+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lies Your Parents Told You to Get You to Behave

FORT Fogey

Lies Your Parents Told You to Get You to Behave

I was wondering what sort of things your parents told you to teach you a lesson or get your to behave?

I can't think of any, but my grandma used to tell my mom to eat her breadcrusts to get curly hair. My mom hated curly hairs and hated the perms her mom made her get, so even though she actually LIKED bread crusts, she wouldn't eat them, because she didn't want curly hair...

FORT Fogey
    Here's a couple more:

Somebody else posted this one elsewhere: How about "babies are bought at a baby store" and when I asked if we could return my brother, "there's a no refunds rule."

"Don't run with scissors - you could poke an eye out!"

My father was told that eating bread crusts would help you learn to whistle. He then conned my kid-self into thinking that too. I can't whistle to this day.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

FORT Fogey
    I can't whistle either - Neither can my dad or brother, but my mom is great at it! When my brother and I were kids, we used to make this high pitched hoo hoo sound to call the dog and we really thought we were whistling...

I don't know why parents need to tell so many stories to get kids to eat bread crusts - They're not that bad!

FORT Fogey
    I think we have an old buried thread for this..

FORT Fogey
    Should somebody merge the two threads?

The only lie my mother told me to behave was "When you are a daddy you can do .....fill in the blank of what I wanted to do"
    (such as drink pop every day, have a donut for breakfast, stay up late) Took me awhile to figure out, I wasn't going to be a daddy (who clearly got away with everything in our house)

My dad just told us lies to amuse himself. He had my younger sister convinced they gave away 2 kids when we moved. told her there wasn't enough room for them. He was always making up stuff that the cats would do when we weren't around (such as climbing in second story windows or talking). He and my uncle (his younger brother) would tell us lies about each other and then go tell us to ask about other abou t what happened, of course then they would lie again . So we would get these huge tall tales to sort out.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

you'll go blind if you do that too much.....
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by dobolina
    you'll go blind if you do that too much.....
    ewww!

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Re: Lies Your Parents Told You to Get You to Behave

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AnnaRHR
    [
    I can't think of any, but my grandma used to tell my mom to eat her breadcrusts to get curly hair.

My dad used to tell me the same thing. I'm glad he did because now I have hair that looks like I paid a fortune at a beauty salon for a spiral perm.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast