+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing Jobs

Changing Jobs

I work as an office manager. It's a good job, I enjoy the work and responsibility. But it's a family owned company and the father and son are very, very poor businessmen.

The field I work in is competitive so they have to low ball customers to get work. That's fine, ya gotta do what you gotta do. It results in paying our employees crap. Including me. (I've only been here around a year, the company I worked for before laid me off) However, the company is losing business because they don't have very good consumer relations. We do a service - customers complain - my bosses ignore the complaints - our customers let us go. My bosses don't seem to follow this system. :rolleyes

Anyhow, I've since got another job and I start in 2 weeks. I'll be paid MUCH more than I am now and I'm pretty psyched. My current boss is furious with me and it's been tense. I gave him a week's notice and said that I will be willing to come in weekends and evenings on a temporary basis. I believe this is PLENTY more than they deserve. (Hasn't always been a happy place to be and I'm the resident punching bag)

Here is where I need some advice.

A couple weeks ago, I did some work over and above my job description. I was told in appreciation of that work, I'd receive a bonus. Well, since money was tight, I didn't press it.

As I'm quitting, am I still entitled to this bonus? And how do I go about requesting it?

IMHO, Miss F, it can't hurt to ask. I mean, you're gonna leave anyway, so what is your boss gonna do...fire you? If your boss gives you slack about daring to ask for such a thing blah blah blah, maybe you can say something like, "Well, then find someone else to VOLUNTARILY come in on weekends and evenings like I said I would! Hmph!"

Seriously, though, it can't hurt to ask. However, based on your post, I wouldn't expect the boss to give it to you...

I agree with Lobeck. I would mention it... I think... I guess it would be hard to bring up, but really are you going to be seeing these people on a regular basis after next week?
    It's too bad they are poor business people.
    Does this mean that you will get a week off? Will you be able to join us here from your new job?
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

It wouldn't hurt to ask

Morally, you still have the bonus coming
    Realistically, I don't know if you have a legal base to demand it.

Yeah, I'm not really going to push the bonus. I might essentially say, "If you aren't willing to pay, then I'm not willing to come in and help" I have given my notice, so I am not really screwing them over.

I allotted it so I could have a week off. Sort of. I'm sure I'll still be here a few hours next week to kind of maintain things. Not sure if I'll have the time at my new job to spend here, but of course, I won't disappear. I do have a computer at home.

I'm just glad to jump from a sinking ship.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Yeah, you should definitely ask for it. I know you may feel awkward asking for it, but you earned it so you have every right!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

It's always difficult to broach the subject of money, but they told you the bonus would be coming so they should stick to their word.

The main thing is that you have found a much better job.
    Good for you
    "That's Numberwang!"

Miss F, congrats on the new higher-paying, less-stress job!

I've worked with poor businesspeople before, and it's definitely NO FUN. Not worth the money, IMO.

Although you probably are entitled to the bonus, and I would certainly mention it (personally, I'd bring it up any time to boss gave me crap about leaving, but that's just me), I wouldn't expect it.

i'm so nonconfrontational, i can see me leaving without ever bringing up the bonus. however, since you're not me.... maybe you're ballsier than i am.

you said it's a small company. do you do payroll or are you friends with the person in accounting? if you do payroll, just add the bonus amount to your check. if your friends with the acct. person, have them just add the bonus. when the boss goes to sign it, they'll see the difference and you (or acct) can just say, "oh since it's her last check, i added that bonus she was promised."

"oh since it's her last check, i added that bonus she was promised.
    I love it!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast