+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Played-Out Slang

Played-Out Slang

I don't know about you, but personally, I could live the rest of my happily without ever hearing these words again:

1) the bomb
    2) sick (in a complimentary sense, as in, "There were some sick waves out there, dude."
    3) dude (I am especially affronted when guys call me "dude", as I am very clearly all female)
    4) all that (often accompanied by "a bag of chips")
    5) whatever
    6) oh snap
    7) my bad
    8) keepin' it real
    9) don't hate (followed occasionally by "appreciate" or "congratulate")
    10) played out

It's bad when you catch yourself inadvertantly using some of the very phrases you despise (yes, I'm guilty of this--but it's like when a song that really annoys you gets stuck in your head and you find yourself singing "I'm blue, da ba dee, da bu di" all day in spite of yourself).

It's even worse when it infiltrates the farthest reaches of culture, like when I heard a straight-laced, older male newscaster on my local station say "My bad" after a gaffe during the evening news.

What slang words and/or phrases do you vote to retire?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Fade to black
    Dude... whatever... the peeps are just keepin' it real. Don't hate on them cuz you ain't the bomb or all that and are all played out. Oh snap, my bad, I know you's sick.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

I'm going to cast my vote for "You go, girl!" (or, the alternative, "You go, girlfriend!")

My mom says these. My mom. My 60 year old white mom. Who hails from Wisconsin. I just look at her and say "Okay. We got through that last one together. But swear to me on all that is good and holy in this world that you will NEVER do it again. Admitting you have a problem is the first step to solving it."

As an aside, my life is now complete. I just found (after however many months) the rest of the FoRT smilies. I'm going to probably be on a bit of a smiley tear for the next day or so, so you'll all have to bear with me. My deepest apologies in advance.

aj, it is a glorious day when you realize there's a whole bunch more smiles isn't it? I remember that day fondly.

A played-out slang for me is "off the hook". I'm done with that one.

And hazy, you're a smartass. :rolleyes
    Who shot who in the what now?

Hate it when people say "SWEET!" in regards to something being good. Or "WHAT UP DAWG" What the Hell is that anyways? Oh lets not forget "ANYHOO".
    In these times of Greatness, what is better than being a Bostonian? Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (NO. 5anyone?) and I'll even give props to the Black N Gold!!!

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    If I hear someone say "dope" one more time, i think i might kill someone. It's just so annoying after the millionth time.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Here's another annoying one: Fo' shizzle my nizzle. I can't figure out what it means, and people say it all the time.

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    1. Yo!
    2. Dawg
    3. Totally
    4. Sweet
    5. Whas' up?
    6. Sick
    7. Killer
    8. Dude
    9. Rad or radical
    10. My bad
    11. Wack
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by hazyshadeof
    Dude... whatever... the peeps are just keepin' it real. Don't hate on them cuz you ain't the bomb or all that and are all played out. Oh snap, my bad, I know you's sick.
    Hazy, did you have a bit part in Malibu's Most Wanted?

I'm tired of everyone calling each other Joe, as in "What's up, Joe?"

Bling Bling I couldn't stand this one from day one.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast