+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Played-Out Slang

Quote Originally Posted by Modesty
    Oh... and for those of you who don't know 1337, this is an example of one type of it: "+h3$3 PH0rUm5 r +3h 5uX0r!!111!!!" ... hehe
    I have some computer geek (their term, not mine) friends who like to 'talk' like that just to annoy me. The only phrase I know and use (I guess that makes me a semi-geek) is w00t!
    Men are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you can't help but smile as you see one tumble down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie
    I have some computer geek (their term, not mine) friends who like to 'talk' like that just to annoy me. The only phrase I know and use (I guess that makes me a semi-geek) is w00t!
    My boyfriend is one of those hacker geek guys, and I've had to learn that whole language. Against my will, I might add. I've read magazine columns where he was interviewed, and they always manage to drop a few of the cute little elitespeak bombs in there. Ugh. I did a usenet search on him (not behind his back or anything - with his blessing) when we first started dating, and I thought my eyes were going to cross from all that nonsense. Ack, ugh, blah. I've even gone to his 2600 meetings (I don't know if those are very well-known, so if you have no idea what I'm talking about, just ignore me), and listened to people actually speak like that. Now, it's one thing to type it out, but to talk that way too? Luckily my boyfriend has pretty much moved on past that phase, because I'd hate to have to beat him about the head with blunt objects if he were to do it often.

FORT Fogey
    One that bugs me is using "boo" as in boyfriend. If you've ever heard the song Dilemna by Kelly Rowland and Nelly its in the chorus...

What is "w00t"? My friends put that in their emails all the time, and I am apparently not sufficiently geeky to know what that means.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Princess
    w00t = yay, or something like that

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    I hate when people say "whats cracking" instead of how are you doing? or at least whats up is better.
    I also hate "my bad" UGHHHH makes me want to VOMIT! oh and "You go girl" Stop it!!!
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkieparrot
    One that bugs me is using "boo" as in boyfriend. If you've ever heard the song Dilemna by Kelly Rowland and Nelly its in the chorus...
    That's ebonics, which I mentioned in my other post annoys me. Especially when white people try to speak it and think they're hardcore "gangstaz" because they use ghetto phrases and listen to rap. Back in my day, if a white boy talked like that, he'd either be laughed at or beat up.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Apple
    That's ebonics, which I mentioned in my other post annoys me. Especially when white people try to speak it and think they're hardcore "gangstaz" because they use ghetto phrases and listen to rap. Back in my day, if a white boy talked like that, he'd either be laughed at or beat up.
    Boo is also a southern term for a sweetheart. At least I think it is, I have a friend in Louisiana who calls me boo (he thinks I'm cute. lol), and he is sooooooooo not a gangstaz or ebonics type.
    Men are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you can't help but smile as you see one tumble down the stairs.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Boo is also a southern term for a sweetheart. At least I think it is, I have a friend in Louisiana who calls me boo (he thinks I'm cute. lol), and he is sooooooooo not a gangstaz or ebonics type.
    Maybe it's a cajun thing too. But I live in Alabama and the only people I've heard use the term here are either black or wannabes.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

I always say "dude" & "whatEVER!" I find that I say "dude" more frequently when I've been drinking
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

+ Reply to Thread