+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Played-Out Slang

Represent. UGH!
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Originally posted by greenflute98

And hazy, you're a smartass. :rolleyes
    Well, you know what they say. It's better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass!!!

pants.

I get that from my british cohorts, not sure if it's catching on here or not.

My 14 year old daughter noted that something was "pimped out" the other day. Coming from her mouth .. well, it wasn't as funny as when Tina Fab said it ...

Anyhoo, I asked her if she knew what a pimp was.
    No. So we had a long discussion about the origins of the term.

Then she said, "you da bomb, mom"

I'm guilty of about 1/2 of these because of I'm constantly surrounded by "dude" "sweet" "sick" "gnarly" "rad" and "bro" from my surfer friends/brothers/boyfriend/etc. These don't bother me at all because they're a part of my everyday life and I can't imagine going a day without them. Though I limit them when I'm on here because it gets rather annoying to those that aren't surrounded by it 24/7 and in real life I hear them more than I say them.

I personally rarely use "sick" unless I'm making fun of the guys or "rad" (Is it just me or do you sound just plain dumb when you say this? ) or "gnarly" (are we back in the 70s?). But, I use "dude" and "bro" as often as a bop says "like" and "totally"

Anyways, terms that bother me:

1 - Wussup? (I don't mind "Hey! What's up" but "Sup?" and "Wussup?" irriate me.)
    2 - Tight (As in "That movie was tight!")
    3 - Wack (As in "That food was wack")
    4 - Ill (As in "The beach was ill today")
    5 - Killer (As in "That wave was killer")
    6 - Dawg (As in "Yo dawg, sup?")
    7 - Yo (See above)
    8 - Playa (Especially when accompanied by "Don't be a playa hata")
    9 - Represent (Not too sure how to explain this one but I hear it way too often for my liking)
    10 - Da bomb (As in "you're da bomb!" - personally, I don't like being referred to as a weapon that causes destruction but maybe that's just me)
    *Lacey

Being around it all day, most slang really doesn't bother me. I guess I just don't hear it anymore.
    This one may be old, but it causes visceral reactions in me:
    "Ya' know what I'm sayin'?"

As in:
    I'm a teacher, ya' know what I'm sayin, and my students, whose speech is certainly influenced too much by near-illiterate people on TV, ya'know what I'm sayin', tend to sprinkle this phrase into normal conversation WAY too often. It's completely extraneous, ya' know what I'm sayin?! Frankly, I have no problems comprehending the simplest of conversations, ya'know what I'm sayin'? Yo, that's just wack, dawg!

Oh--and I'm even embarrassed to type this one: My brother-in-law (love him to death!), a frequent user of "anyhoo," is still quoting Jim Carrey's "EXSQUEEZE ME?"

FORT Fogey
    "You feel me?"

None of these words and phrases really bother me. I am 16, so I hear them daily. I just don't like it when they're used too much. It's all about moderation.

Here are a few:

Chedda
    Phat
    girlfriend

Is WAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZUP still in style?

+ Reply to Thread