+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Played-Out Slang

I didn't think it had anything to do with sex, I've only heard PinkieParrot's definition. It's sort of hip hop slang thing to insert "izzle" into words--for "rizzle", would mean "for real", "reality televizzle", would mean "reality TV". It goes back a long time. Like the song "Double Dutch Bus" from the late 70s or early 80s, with whole "Dizubble Dizutch" part.

In elementary school, my friends and I would have "Secret Languages", really a similar type of language game to the "izzle" business, and not unlike Pig Latin, that also inserted "THG" or "ARB" into words, so we could speak to each other without others understanding. I'm 28, and my best friend and I still use it! It comes in handy!!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

FORT Fogey
    Hmm...well I know about the Reality Televizzle. I dunno really want it means then. I just know what I've heard.

I am bumping this thread but solely because, so help me god, I heard the term "BLING-BLING" five mizillion times last night as I was watching the Golden Globe awards. I felt like throttling Leeza Gibbons, but then again when do I not feel like throttling Leeza Gibbons.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Today on VH1, they were making fun of the recent trend in "blaccent" speak by caucasians. It was funny as they were rolling several clips of different people failing miserably in the "trying to be cool" department. Most notably Justin Timberlake.

Thanks for the bump, SFG, I'd never seen this before.
    I'm sure it was said long ago, but "It's all good" really irks me for some reason.
    On the "holla back yo", I do have to admit to saying "holler" on a regular basis, but in my defense it's because I'm from the south. So I'll tell someone to "just give me a holler when you're ready to go".
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I'm tired of hearing, "you go girl" and "all that". But like Lucy, I get to "holler" because of my birthplace!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fogey
    Okay so at my school (no idea if its anywhere else) EVERYONE says "Yea ..." Anything that goes well you say, "Yeah good grades" or "Yeah scoring a goal!" and you dont just say yea monotonessly, its like yEAuh (caps beign a high voice). Okay so my explanation didn't really work, but still. So annoying

What you sayin' peeps? Fo shizzle, Silverizzle is freakizzle in the FORTizzle!

This summer, there was a song by Chingy called "Right thurr" and he changed some words by adding extra r's. Like this : hair becomes hairr, mayor becomes mayorr, stare becomes starre etc.

Nelly used to do that in some of his songs too, I just find it strange

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Today on VH1, they were making fun of the recent trend in "blaccent" speak by caucasians. It was funny as they were rolling several clips of different people failing miserably in the "trying to be cool" department. Most notably Justin Timberlake.

Wow. I wasn't sure anyone noticed that besides me. Thank you VH1 for at least recognizing it. Here's MY short list:

1. "Yomesayne?" (No I don't know what you are saying, especially when you being every sentence with that stupid term!)
    2. "Good times" (Not in the sense of yes, those were the days...but rather in the sense of "I have nothing pertinent to say and I'd like to hear the sound of my voice, so "'good times'")
    3. "My bad" (Being the jury, I'm still out on this one. I heard the comment a few times before seeing the movie "Clueless" and thought it was stupid then, and then afterward, I asked myself if she was actually trying to be hip or cute by admitting "her bad" or if she was asking the instructor if she was bad? I'm torn between the two of those. I half suspect someone misunderstood the comment.
    4. This one is the topper. If I hear this a b-gillion times this year as I did last year, it will cause me to jump off the highest roof I can find and I'm wearing my bling bling for extra weight. "Empowerment". We get it already. You were fat, you learned a few yoga moves, participated in Pilates for about a week and now you are completely "empowered."
    Last edited by J.D.; 01-27-2004 at 01:31 AM.

Why is bling bling everywhere all of a sudden? It's been around a while but lately it's all over the place.

I had a boss who always said "No worries." That's not so bad, but he used it to cover any situation to the point that it made no sense. Yet it sounds enough like a real sentence that I kept finding myself thrown for a half second while I tried to figure out if a response was necessary.

Me: I put that report in your inbox.
    Boss: No worries.

WTF? So did it mean thank you? Or that he was he previously was worried and now was relieved?

Every now and then I hear someone else saying this and I just shudder.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread