+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this?

agentcarver

What do you think of this?

Today, my school decided that girls can't read the announcements. I think they have a good reason (A deeper voice is better heard in a noisy classroom, and the girls are barely heard at all beyond "Girl's so-bla-bla-bla-mumble-7:-mumble-game-mumble". Fact of life that I can observe daily) but the girls are really pissed off. What do you think of this?

i would be pissed off, too.
    there are ways to teach the girls to speak more clearly, more loudly, etc. taking away a privilege and making it a "boys" club would definitely rub me the wrong way.

when i was in grade school, they tried crap like that.... boys only to raise the flag, say the pledge, etc. back then i was much more vocal about not getting my fair shake...

i got to raise the flag AND say the pledge.

girls shouldn't be excluded.

there are plenty of boys that mumble and don't have deep voices, i would imagine.

If girls can't be heard in a noisy classroom, maybe the teacher(s) involved can do something about the noise level so they can be heard?

That being said, I see no reason why the girls should be excluded from reading the announcements, etc...

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    How do they expect the female teachers to be heard?
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I think it's bad news.

If girls can't be heard in a noisy classroom, maybe the teacher(s) involved can do something about the noise level so they can be heard?
    Bingo, Lobeck.

Dumb policy by the school, Agent. I can understand why folks would be ticked.

I used to read the announcements to our school. I always brought a joke for the end. I figured that way, folks would shut up and wait for the fun part.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

The school is cruisin for a bruisin on this one. There is no good way to cut half of the population out of anything. The teachers should inspire the students to listen better and teach the girls to speak more appropriatly for the task at hand. They are there to learn, right?
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

agentcarver
    Sorry, I realise I'm being hunted right now, but do you have ANY IDEA HOW HARD IT IS TO GET 30 TEENAGERS TO SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP FOR MORE THAN 30 SECONDS? I realise I'm using language I'm not allowed to use in front of a class up there, but that is a fact. I do not agree with this policy, and think that there are better ways to solve it, but there is no way we can get all of the kids under control at the same time... Just so you know, this motion carried this morning at the staff meeting 12 votes to 11... So it's sitting duck (I voted against... There are only 23 seats on the policy committe) Either way, I'm already lobbying for the change. Unfortunetly, it is sad, but true that girls are almost always inaudible unless they EN-UN-CI-ATE perfectly and SPEAK LOUDLY, while boys, as long as they speak into the microphone, can be heard loud and clear, but there are better ways to solve this.

I'm on a rant, and I'll be quiet now.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Just out of curiosity...is this a public or private school?
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

agentcarver
    Public High school, but we are known for out Arts programs, which I am proud to be part of. We are ALMOST an arts school, but we need something like 4 more courses to qualify.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast