+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this?

Sorry Agent, but I'm a sub and I can get the highschoolers to be quiet for announcements.
    I'll admit that there aren't 30 to a class yet, but there are as many as 24.
    If the girls are mumbling then they should be taught to speak clearly. I know plenty of guys that mumble too. I find it very hard that a school would actually implement this policy at all... Are you yankin' our chains?
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

It seems ridiculous to me.
    Totally against any any rules governing equal treatment.

It comes to something when teachers can't keep students quiet for a few minutes.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I don't think there SHOULD be any problem with the girls reading them. At my school, a girl and guy traded off, and the girl was actually a lot better.

There are tons of loud, outgoing girls in schools everywhere that could do them. If your school is practically an arts school, seems like alot of girls would be into drama or choir, and be able to do just as good as the guys.

I think the rule is totally unfair.

agentcarver
    Fluff: You're probably right, but the announcements are read (They're called the "2.5 minute announcements") in the 2 and a half minutes JUST before the end of the first period, and again just before lunch, and again at the end of the day, so the kids are really hyper and are putting things away and out of their seats and talking to their friends and even if I SCREAM at them to be quiet (Which I have tried) it only lasts for a minute at the most... I'm just not up to staring down a class, you know? Plus, I teach music most of the time, which leaves me being dependant on their at least being willing to work with me, and if I YELL AT THEM every time the announcements come on, it won't work.

Either way, I am lobbying. A great idea just struck me: "TURN THE PA SYSTEM UP". I mean, it was built in the 70s (The PA) but a bit more won't hurt it!

I'm just not up to staring down a class, you know? Plus, I teach music most of the time, which leaves me being dependant on their at least being willing to work with me, and if I YELL AT THEM every time the announcements come on, it won't work.
    Needing the students to work with/for you is an important point for an arts teacher. You do need to have a strong rapport with students.
    I don't think I could stare them down either.
    There would always be one who fancied his/her chances which could lead to ongoing confrontations.
    Last edited by fluff; 10-15-2002 at 09:21 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Weird times for anouncements, maybe it is easier for me because the announcements are made at the very beginning of the day. They haven't had time to get "riled up" yet. Plus there is a moment of silence and if they miss that they are is deep crap!
    Why do they have announcements 3 times a day?

That does seem rather strange.
    I always thought first thing in the morning was the best time of day.
    Seems like a little bit of a peculiar school to be honest.
    "That's Numberwang!"

The schools here do have announcements again at the end of the day, but since they pertain to bus changes, sports schedules etc, the kids want to hear them.
    At the elementary school the announcements are broadcast on television the 5th graders do everything with a girl and boy newscaster, a sound kid and a camera person. Changing weekly. I guess having them on TV is cool because each teacher can regulate how loud their TV is.

Originally posted by cali
    Weird times for anouncements, maybe it is easier for me because the announcements are made at the very beginning of the day. They haven't had time to get "riled up" yet. Plus there is a moment of silence and if they miss that they are is deep crap!
    Why do they have announcements 3 times a day?
    I agree, Cali...When I was in high school, the announcements were made once a day, at the beginning of the day during Homeroom...

My sister and I read announcements for awhile in high school. We're blessed with strong voices and as our parents were both teachers, learned to enunciate our words. We were always reading in church and had quite a bit of experience.

With that being said, my sister and I got a lot of compliments from teachers in particular at school. I think it's because we were the exception, not the rule. Most girls do have voices that are a little higher and maybe a bit self-conscious.

I don't think it's right to exclude girls, but I do think it's fair to exclude any student, male or female, that isn't capable of doing the announcements properly. After all, a lot of guys mumble too.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast