+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Best Advice...

FORT Fogey

The Best Advice...

Whats some of the best advice you ever received ?
    Did you take it? How do you feel now?

one for me would have to be:

There is no one standing at the door to the hospital giving out awards for natural child birth, get the epidural!

I took it and it was fantastic,, I had the best delivery! I wasn't soo exhausted I couldn't enjoy my new baby and I felt no pain!
    15 minutes of pushing too!
    I sent flowers to the girl who told me that!

FG- I will remember that for future reference.

The best advice I've ever been given was from my dad my senior year of high school:

"You can't do everything , you can't please everyone , and everyone is not going to love you."

It serves as a motto for me-- I am one of those people who tends to go out of my way to please the other person.

FORT Fogey
    I think the best advice is, "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

And the Golden Rule is always a good one to follow: "Do onto others as you would have others do onto you."

And firegirl, please enlighten me on what an epidural is. I don't recall my OBGYN or books telling me about it...

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Okay, I'm a GUY and I know what an epidural is. Of course, my wife has had two children in the last 20 months.

Anna, it's a spinal block; they put a needle into your spinal column and give you drugs to block the pain of delivery. And from what I've heard, it's worse than it sounds.

As for the best advice I've ever been given? I'll have to ponder that for a bit.

Fade to black
    Best advice I've ever been given...

"Be yourself." Mom

Simple, I know, but for someone who struggled a long time with being anything but myself, it was something I needed to hear and comprehend.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

FORT Fogey
    Anna, they put a drip into your spine during labor it blocks the nerve that sends that body crushing mind blowing ( no way to pant it away) pain that is shoooting through your body! It is a breeze a little pin prick and instant relief, I mean nothing not a thing and you can move you just don't feel pain. You can't walk, but it's not like your going to the store for milk right?

I was married to a doctor and my obgyn is one of my best friends and I can tell you from a health stand point about 99% of ob gyn and other physician's wives get the epidural, some sort of " earth muffin" lamaze teachers don't like it and preach against it, but my doctor and everyone I know who has had one say it best, it's the red carpet way to have a baby. Would you get your teeth drilled with out novocaine?

Lamaze is a very useful tool though, because there is a window of time when you can have the epidural, you can't have it till your dialated to 4 and once you get to like 9 it's too late. So if you labor fast you could miss the window. But , most don't and it's fantastic, I didn't spend my energy trying to concentrate through the pain or deal w/pain,, well, I had 4 hours of pain till I got to 4 but then OH the RELIEF! And it was so fun,, I could visit w/people and during the delivery I could really concentrate on the pushing instead of the pain. It islike when your arm is alseep you can feel pressure and move but there is no feeling you know?

You can't walk, but it's not like your going to the store for milk right?

anna, i live by the golden rule as well. great way to live.

best advice i've ever gotten....

my fave prof in college told me that everyone has an opinion, and though i may not agree with it, i should always respect it.

my dad always said, "there are two little letters when put together make a powerful word. NO."

Never waste your time on someone who wouldn't waste their time on you.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

To the Point
    Originally posted by firegirl
    ...Lamaze is a very useful tool though, because there is a window of time when you can have the epidural, you can't have it till your dialated to 4 and once you get to like 9 it's too late. So if you labor fast you could miss the window...
    Well, I was one of those who labored VERY fast (3-6 in 6 minutes, and to 10 in 15), but I had a WONDERFUL Dr. who told them not to check me again and get the epidural in. You're right, the difference was huge!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast